- Currently there are 4 consultants in the unit contributing to paediatric orthopaedics -all of whom currently contribute to the adult trauma service / on call rota. There is no separate paeds on call rota. 2 consultants has a purely paediatric elective practice – one of these being the currently advertised post. The others have practice additionally in foot and ankle, arthroplasty and limb reconstruction. This post provides full time paediatric orthopaedic workload and additional responsibility to run specialist clinics for DDH, ponseti and one of the combined neuromuscular clinics.
- 1 consultant runs clinics and day case lists at York hospital on a weekly basis. Any patients from these units requiring inpatient surgery come to Hull Royal Inifrmary.
- We see a wide array of paediatric orthopaedic conditions, additionally having designated clinics for ponseti, DDH/hip screening, complex neuro combined clinic. The service is supported by specialist physios who also run a normal variant clinic.
- There is a paediatric HDU and a selection of experienced paediatric anaesthetists to cover our operating lists.
Main duties of the job
- This post provides opportunity to contribute to the 1 in 12 major trauma consultant rota. This involves weekday ward rounds and performing as part of the trauma team for trauma calls via HRI Emergency Department with additional contribution to ongoing audit and governance activity for major trauma in the region.
- Duties other than those clinical duties specified will be in accordance with the Job Plan agreed between the Appointee, the present Consultants and the Chief Executive. The Job Plan allows time for Administration, also for Teaching as required, within SPA
- Participation in audit/appraisal and CME is mandatory under clinical governance/GMC guidance. This is allowed for in the flexible SPA element of the job
- All consultants may be required to work on any of the Trust’s sites and across the seven day period where
- Secretarial support and appropriate office accommodation and IT facilities will be provided.
Working for your organisation
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust strongly encourages new starters to have the Covid-19 vaccine. However, it is not a mandatory requirement to work for us.
HUTH has two main sites: Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital with an annual budget of approximately £800 million. The Trust employs around 11,000 staff and serves an extended population of 1.25 million, delivering a number of outpatient services from locations across the area.
The Trust’s secondary care service portfolio is comprehensive, covering the major medical and surgical specialties, routine and specialist diagnostic services and other clinical support services. These services are provided primarily to a catchment population of approximately 600,000 in the Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire area.
HUTH provides specialist and tertiary services to a population of 1.25 million extending from Scarborough in North Yorkshire to Grimsby and Scunthorpe in North East and North Lincolnshire respectively.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For further details with regard to this vacancy opportunity, please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
For further details / informal visits contact: Name Sally Hobson Job title Consultant Email address email@example.com