The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust has an exciting opportunity to join our multidisciplinary Trauma and Orthopaedic team as a Locally Employed Doctor (CT1-2 equivalent). It is an opportunity to join a friendly and dynamic hospital team of experienced surgeons, doctors, nurses and practitioners with an excellent reputation for providing an educational and supportive environment. The post-holder will be at based at The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital or Princess Royal Hospital Telford.
These posts are not nationally recognised for training but provide valuable access and support for onward application to various medical career paths.
Main duties of the job
Clinical Duties will include:
- Ward based care of elective and trauma patients.
- Emergency clerking admissions through the ED and Fracture Clinic.
- Assessment, diagnosis and management plans for admissions.
- Working with registrar and consultant on call.
- Attendance in theatre, elective and fracture clinics.
- Contribution to the full-shift rota duties.
- To have excellent team-working skills with the abilities and professional attitude to work well in a multi-professional team.
- To deliver clinical and quality targets agreed both nationally and locally with clinical teams and commissioners.
- To follow patients throughout their clinical pathways.
The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) is the main provider of acute hospital services for around half a million people in Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and mid Wales.
Encompassing some of the most picturesque parts of England and Wales, the Trust's catchment stretches from the Cambrian Mountains in the west, to Newport and the fringes of the Black Country in the east. The main towns include: Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Market Drayton, Oswestry, Shrewsbury and Whitchurch (in Shropshire) Newport, Telford and Wellington (in Telford & Wrekin) and Newtown and Welshpool (in Powys) - all beautiful and unique.
Our main service locations are the Princess Royal Hospital (PRH) in Telford and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (RSH) in Shrewsbury which are located 20 minutes' drive apart. Together they provide 99% of our activity. Both hospitals provide a wide range of acute hospital services including accident & emergency, outpatients, diagnostics, inpatient medical care and critical care.
We also provide services such as consultant-led outreach clinics at the Wrekin Community Clinic, Telford, the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Gobowen and the Bridgnorth, Ludlow and Whitchurch Community Hospitals.
The post-holder will be expected to contribute to the T& O 1in10 full-shift rota. The rota is compliant with the terms and conditions of the 2016 Junior Doctor Contract and WTR and has been carefully designed to maximise training opportunities for doctors whilst maintaining a safe and efficient service, with an even spread of long days and nights. The post holder will be 1 of the 10 doctors contributing to the full shift rota with a weekend frequency of 1:333 with 7-night shifts across an 10-week reference period and is prospectively covered for annual and study leave.
- MBBS, MB ChB or equivalent medical qualification
- Attendance at relevant courses e.g. ATLS, Basic Surgical Skills course or equivalent with a valid certificate
- Full Registration and a licence to practise with the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Demonstration of acquisition of the level of knowledge and skills necessary for the completion of F1 or 2 or evidence of equivalent training and experience
- That applicants have undertaken undergraduate medical training in English or academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) results showing a score of at least 7.0 in each domain (speaking, listening, reading, writing), with an overall score of at least 7.5, to be achieved in a single sitting and within 24 months of the time of application, - OR proof that your primary medical qualification has been undertaken solely in English, that all examinations undertaken were solely in English and that your primary medical qualification has included at least 75% of contact with patients in English, - OR, evidence of employment as a doctor in an NHS organisation for a minimum of 3 months.
- Meets the criteria set out in the generic capabilities framework - detailed below.
- 6 months of NHS experience