THIS POST ATTRACTS OUR GOLD FINANCIAL INCENTIVES PACKAGE UP TO 29,000, AS FOLLOWS: 16,000 Relocation Package 8,000 Golden Hello Payment5,000 Expenses Package East and North Hertfordshire have TWO fantastic opportunities available for Consultants in Elderly Care.These are substantive appointments, based predominantly at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage. The posts comprise of 10 programmed activities (PAs) including an on-call commitment of 1.25PA, but part time and job share applicants are welcome to apply. The Job Plan also includes 2 Supporting Programmed Activities per week. This is a career enhancing opportunity to work in a large district general hospital covering the full range of acute services including an active renal unit, orthopaedics, gastroenterology, respiratory medicine, cardiology, oncology, rheumatology, urology, plastic surgery, obstetrics & gynaecology, paediatrics, and elderly care medicine.The Elderly Care department at the Lister has seen significant expansion over recent years with developments in our inpatient Frailty and Surgical Liaison services. This is in addition to our established Orthogeriatrics service and our three inpatient ward areas (which includes a specialty Frailty ward). The department also runs specialty outpatient clinics for falls, heart function, movement disorders and frailty.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be responsible for 15 inpatient beds on a general elderly care ward (9A) as well as general geriatrics/subspecialty outpatient clinics. The role comes with an on-call commitment for the unselected general medical take currently compensated as 1.25PA subject to future consultations.
Successful candidates will be supported in developing subspecialty interests The department is looking to innovate further with development of its outpatient offering to adapt to the changing needs of the population. This is evidenced by the increasing integration with community clinics and services, enabling greater choice and flexibility for our patients.
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.
- Maintenance of high quality patient centred care
- Shared responsibility for the day to day management of the service and participation in strategic planning
- Teaching and training within the multidisciplinary service
- Active involvement in multidisciplinary team meetings and directorate clinical governance activity
- Active participation in continuing medical education.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- MRCP or qualification of an equivalent level
- Postgraduate academic degree
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
- Ability to critically appraise published evidence
Fitness to Practice
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidences engagement with appraisal and revalidation
Clinical Expertise in Speciality/Subspeciality
- Broad range of experience in Elderly and general medicine. In particular: ? Experience of complex care and discharge planning ? Fully competent in broad range of medical issues in older and general medical patients.
- Ability to offer and be accountable for, full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Demonstrates an interest and commitment to the specialty
- Interest/experience in provision of specialty Falls service
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Experience in organising educational activities
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance and the identification of errors and the learning from errors
- Able to show situational awareness and application of good decision making
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Demonstrate understanding of basic principles of audit, evidence based practice and clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Put our patients first
- Strive for excellence & continuous improvement
- Value everybody
- Open and honest
- Work as a team
- Computer literacy and general IT skills
- Comprehensive knowledge and insight with regard to all the domains within the GMC standards of 'Good Medical Practice'
- Understands and is able to demonstrate the values of the NHS Constitution
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.