Interested in developing your special interest within an intellectual disability service?
If so, this could be the place for you. We can offer:
o A competitive and flexible benefits package
o A leadership development programme for recently appointed consultants
o An active mentoring scheme
Some flexibility of timetable is possible to suit the work-life needs of suitable candidates, who may be looking for a particular job-plan. The service will support the development of special interests, especially if provided across areas.
You will be a local champion for people with a learning disability and to facilitate people developing skills in working with adults with a learning disability. You will also help to maximise the access of people with learning disability to the services and resources available from mainstream Mental Health and other Services, through collaborative working.
The post is part of a Directorate nine Consultant Psychiatrists working in Intellectual Disabilities across BSW ICB. Consultants from neighbouring organisation in South Gloucestershire have access to CPD and PDP activities organised by local Learning Disability Consultant group.
We have an international reputation in postgraduate training of Learning Disability Specialists, through its CT2-3 and ST4-6 training posts and visiting trainees from Europe.
Main duties of the job
- Individual salary considerations may be made for exceptional candidates following the selection process.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
- To manage, appraise and give professional supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between consultant colleagues and the medical director and in accordance with the Trust's personnel policies and procedures.
- To ensure that junior medical staff working with the post holder operate within the parameters of the New Junior Doctor Contract 2016 and are Working Time Directive compliant.
- To undertake the administrative duties associated with the care of patients.
- To undertake administrative duties associated with the running of his/her clinical work.
- To record clinical activity accurately and comprehensively, and submit this promptly to the Information Department.
- To participate in service and business planning activity for the locality and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service.
- To participate in annual appraisal for consultants.
- To attend and participate in the academic programme of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the internal CPD programme.
- To maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council and to abide by professional codes of conduct.
- To participate annually in a job plan review with the clinical manager, which will include consultation with a relevant manager in order to ensure that the post is developed to take into account changes in service configuration and delivery associated with modernisation.
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care. Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in Learning Disability Psychiatry
Personal Skills Essential
- Experience of assessing and treating LD patients in an inpatient and community setting.
Clinical Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults with Learning Disabilities and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Knowledge of current government policies in Learning Disabilities.
Research and Audit Essential
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Employer details Employer name
- Independently mobile and willing to travel
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust Address
Green Lane Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.