We are delighted to be offering the opportunity for enthusiastic, motivated individuals to join our team of developing anaesthetists at our Royal Lancaster Infirmary Site. This is an excellent opportunity for Senior Anaesthetists to develop further skills and interests in Obstetric Anaesthesia, Intensive Care Medicine and Anaesthesia.
The hospital is a trust of 5 site bases with intensive care departments on 2 of its larger sites and theatres on 3 of the 5 sites. You will be based at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary Hospital with an expectation to cover Westmorland General Hospital as required. All of our hospitals offer a warm, friendly environment for which we pride ourselves upon.
Royal Lancaster Infirmary is based within the Historic City of Lancaster. Westmorland General Hospital is located on the outskirts of the popular Lakeland town of Kendal. Furness General Hospital is based in North Lancashire close to the Lake District. All our hospitals are situated near areas of outstanding natural beauty, which offer superb outdoor and recreational activities close to the Lake District, an ideal base to escape large City Centre pressures. Access to good transport links allows for easy reach to many northern cities where you will find a wealth of shops, restaurants, museums and galleries close by.
Interviews for this position will take place on 21st July 2023Main duties of the job
The department runs a full shift pattern with prospective cover for annual leave and study leave. The post is 10-14PA per week depending on agreed job plans of which 1.5 PA per week will be allocated SPA.
- You will join an established team of 22 Consultants with several Specialists and Specialty Doctors supporting all general services of the hospital including Accident and Emergency department, Theatres covering maternity, Gynaecology, Orthopaedic and trauma, ophthalmology and ENT.
- You will work unsupervised while in theatres.
- On-call shifts worked as a 1:8 provide residential cover over a 3 tier rota for emergency work, principally in theatres, obstetrics and Intensive Care.
- Involvement in undergraduate and post-graduate medical education.
- Assessment and preparation of patients for theatre and provision of immediate post-operative care.
- Participate in and actively present during clinical audit.
- Demonstrate evidence based practice where appropriate.
- Undertake and participate in the appraisal process and job planning.
- Satisfy the criteria for revalidation.
- Contribute to service development in areas of special interest and expertise.
- Actively participate in continuing medical education.
- Undertake personal appraisal and job-planning as part of revalidation.
- Maintain all mandatory training requirements.
We operate from three main hospitals - Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI) Furness General Hospital (FGH) in Barrow, Westmorland General Hospital (WGH) in Kendal, as well as a number of community health care premises including Millom Hospital and GP Practice, Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe, and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
RLI and FGH have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and various Consultant-led services.
WGH provides a range of General Hospital services, together with an Urgent Treatment Centre, that can help with a range of non-life threatening conditions such as broken bones and minor illnesses.
All three main hospitals provide a range of planned care including outpatients, diagnostics, therapies, day case and inpatient surgery. In addition, a range of local outreach services and diagnostics are provided from community facilities across Morecambe Bay
Our community services for adults are provided in people's homes, community centres, clinics, GP Practices, community hospitals and our main hospitals. Our aim is to work with people to help them remain independent, improve their health and manage their conditions through high quality care, advice and support.Job description Job responsibilities
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay visiting our website https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Full Registration and a licence to practise with the General Medical Council.
- FRCA or an equivalent appropriate higher anaesthetic qualification.
- Completed a minimum of 12 years' medical work (either continuous period or in aggregate) since obtaining a primary medical qualification
- A minimum of six years should have been in a relevant specialty in the Specialty Doctor and/or closed SAS grades. Equivalent years' experience in a relevant specialty from other medical grades including from overseas will also be accepted.
Professional Values, Behaviours, Skills and Knowledge Essential
- Demonstrated ability to provide safe and effective immediate care for critically ill patients of all ages.
- Meets the requirements of a clinical/ educational supervisor, as defined by the GMC
- Practises with the professional values and behaviours expected of all doctors as set out in GMC Good Medical Practice and the Generic Professional Capabilities Framework (or equivalent for dentists).
- Critically reflects on own competence, understands own limits, and seeks help when required.
- Communicates effectively and is able to share decision-making with patients, relatives and carers treats patients as individuals, promoting a person-centred approach to their care, including self-management.
Patient Safety & Quality Improvement Essential
- Undertaken training in management and / or teamworking
- Takes prompt action where there is an issue with the safety or quality of patient care, raises and escalates concerns, through clinical governance systems, where necessary.
- Applies basic human factors principles and practice at individual, team, organisation and system levels.
Employer details Employer name
- Participates in regional or national quality improvement projects
- Implements evidence-based change to improve patient care
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust Address
Royal Lancaster Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.