Locum Consultant Anaesthetist
Based: Bronglais General Hospital, Aberystwyth
Salary: £100,381 pro rata per annum
Applications are invited for a locum General Anaesthetist with an Interest in Critical Care medicine to work 10 sessions per week at the Bronglais General Hospital in Ceredigion, West Wales
The post is immediately available for a fixed term up to 31/3/2023, and there is an on-going active recruitment programme in place.
The successful applicant will be supported by a compliment of 11 Anaesthetic Consultants who are responsible for the provision of an Anaesthetics service to the population of the Ceredigion area within the Hywel Dda University Health Board
Main duties of the job
The Consultant team at Bronglais provide a service in both general Anaesthesia and Critical Care medicine to the population of Ceredigion in West Wales
All members of the department work a fully flexible rota which includes elective theatres list for orthopaedic, gynaecology, obstetric and ophthalmic surgery, urgent surgery trauma lists, day time ITU session, day and night resident on-calls, and also on calls from home.
With regards to the ITU, 1st on call shifts and 2nd on call form home are covered 7 days of the week. The on-call attracts a band 3 supplement and is provided on a rolling rota basis specific to Bronglais.
Theatres sessions are available in a variety of specialities, and will be agreed with the successful applicant based on sub speciality interests.
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
- Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest;
- Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire; Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion; and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire;
- 48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres;
- Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services;
- Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.
The Department of Anaesthetics has active training and research programmes and maintains strong links across Wales through the various clinical networks relevant to the department, allowing effective development of areas of subspecialty, managerial or academic interest.
The Department is supportive of opportunities for individuals seeking employment with the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service (EMRTS Cymru), or Adult Critical Care Transfer Service (ACCTS Cymru) (subject to separate competitive recruitment).
Training & Education including a successful Consultant Development & Mentoring scheme aimed at developing you as a senior leader to enable you to effectively contribute to Hywel Dda and its future direction.
For full details of the role requirements please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for this vacancy.
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practise
- Valid Certified Advanced Life Support Skills
- Appropriate Higher Degree e.g. MD, PhD or MSc or equivalent
- On Specialist Register with GMC or CCT due ) within 6 months of interview date Or CESR or equivalent European Qualifications for Specialist Registration
- Broad based experience in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
- Knowledge of UK hospital systems (or equivalent)
- Knowledge and participation in CPD
- Able to apply knowledge
- Safe and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of communicating bad news
- Meet the requirement of the GMC's "Good Medical Practice
- Experience of NHS
- Wider experience, research and training in providing sub specialty service
- Evidence of above average performance
- Additional clinical qualification(s)
- Evidence of participation in clinical audit and understanding role of audit in improving medical practice
- Comprehension of core philosophy and building blocks of Clinical Governance
- Knowledge of risk management
- Knowledge of annual job planning/appraisal review process
- Experience and knowledge of critical appraisal of evidence so as to improve clinical outcomes
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and concluding research projects with publication
- Research degree
- Evidence of organising programmes and teaching medical students and junior doctors
- Willingness to teach all grades of professional multidisciplinary staff
- Organisation of further teaching programmes in medical education
- "Training the Trainers" experience
- Knowledge of the management and structure of the NHS
- Willingness to participate in clinical management
- Evidence of management training
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.