We are looking to appoint an StR Higher in Adult Cardiac Surgery to complement the clinical service, starting October 2022. The post will initially be for one year with a potential option to extend depending on progress and service requirements of the adult cardiac surgical division. The post carries formal Deanery approval which can count towards formal specialist Cardiothoracic surgical training.
Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will spend the year as two six month attachments within the Cardiothoracic Surgical Service. This position will provide advanced level instruction in the various aspects of tertiary-level cardiothoracic surgery. This will include complex major aortic surgery; advanced transcatheter valve therapies; hybrid AF ablative surgery; port access mitral surgery and minimally invasive aortic valve surgery as well as other aspects adult of cardiac surgery including emergency and major trauma. This is complemented by surgical thoracic experience in open and minimally-invasive lung resection; oesophago-gastric surgery and Robotic Thoracic surgery. This can be tailored to the successful applicant's needs divided amongst the sub-speciality interests of the existing consultant body.
Derriford Hospital forms part of the Southwest Deanery advanced training programme in Cardiothoracic surgery. Successful graduates from the programme have gone on to international fellowships, won multiple accolades and been successfully appointed to UK consultant posts. Consultants in the division continue to act as examiners and three are McCormack medallists. All consultants are committed and engaged with the electronic surgical curriculum. The successful candidate will benefit from all of the educational opportunities and resources afforded within the training programme including a £5000, per annum, supporting educational bursary. This post replaces our current NTN who has been successfully promoted to the national Advanced congenital cardiac surgery training programme.
The successful candidate is expected to function at a high clinical level at all times within the service. They will practice under supervision, or independently when clinically appropriate, and develop their surgical skills to their projected level over the duration of the post. The surgical division in Derriford is committed to the successful candidates training, and progression, throughout their time with us and we will build on your strengths.
Knowledge and skills
- Good knowledge of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Appreciation of the value of clinical audit and good clinical governance practice
- Demonstrable evidence/knowledge of relevant research topics
- Audit management, teaching experience and/or teaching certificate relative to career stage
- Clear aptitude for practical skills
Education, qualifications, and special training
- MBBS or equivalent medical qualifications
- Successful completion of MRCS or equivalent qualification
- Eligible for full registration with the GMC and hold a current licence to practice on the intended start date
- Basic general surgical training
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Current ALS registration
- Strong personal desire to excel clinically and professionally
- Post-graduate qualification
- Completion of minimum two years General Professional Training in approved posts.
- At least six months previous experience in cardiothoracic surgery at ST2 level or equivalent.
- Excellent levels of communication across all members of the multidisciplinary team with particular reference to our tertiary referrers
- Demonstrable ability to relate well to patients and colleagues
- Basic keyboard skills
- Flexible rota dependant on service within EWTD
- Full Driving Licence
- Familiarity with existing clinical IT systems
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.