Would you like to be part of a team that provides the best care for young people aged 13 to 18 and play an instrumental part in their recovery?
Main duties of the job
We are looking to appoint a Consultant who will provide consistent, high quality medical leadership to the Tier 4 team based at the St Aubyn Centre in Colchester. The St Aubyn Centre is a purpose built unit, with a therapeutic education department on site that has an Ofsted rating of Outstanding. It has a Generic Adolescent Unit that has 15 beds, and a Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit that has 10 beds. The post holder will work across both wards with a maximum of 5 patients on each ward and will be part of an extensive MDT which includes 2 other consultant colleagues, two specialty doctors and two core trainees.
The post holder will be part of an innovative team, who have implemented DBT practices on the ward over the past few years, winning a national award for their work!
You must have full GMC registration and be on the Specialist Register, with an appropriate CCT or equivalent or be within six months of obtaining your CCT on the date of the AAC.
If you join our Trust we will ensure that you are supported and encouraged to pursue professional development interests and we have excellent links with the medical school at ARU and other educational establishments where we have shared appointments in teaching and research. We also offer generous relocation package.
"To be the leading health and wellbeing service in the provision of mental health and community care".
"We care for people every day. What we do together, matters".
Our strategic objectives
We will deliver safe, high quality integrated care services.
We will enable each other to be the best that we can.
We will work together with our partners to make our services better.
We will help our communities to thrive.
If you share that vision and want to make a difference to the people that use our services, then please contact us to find out more.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Open, Compassionate and Empowering. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including;
- Season Ticket Loan
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
- The post holder will be responsible for up to 10 young people admitted across the PICU and GAU wards. This would also include screening referrals, conducting tabletop assessments, joining meetings with the collaborative about complex cases in the East of England and liaising with community teams. We look at referrals from across the East of England and have an MDT team who screen referrals daily. The post holder will be expected to contribute to these meetings when able to. Within Essex, the community CAMHS services are provided by NELFT trust, who we work closely with in managing transitions to and from hospital. There are regular meetings with the Provider Collaborative within the East of England that the post holder is encouraged to attend to work more closely with other inpatient units and community teams in the region.
- Main duties include the assessment and treatment of all young people admitted to the unit with acute, complex and high risk presentations, mostly admitted on a formal basis. The post holder would therefore need to be AC approved.
- Work closely with colleagues cross all disciplines to regularly review the progress of treatment. This will include medication reviews, assessments of mental states, participation in ward reviews, CPA reviews and care planning meetings as well as preparing medical reports, and attending MHRT hearings as and when required. The post holder will have trainee doctors who can also contribute to this, under the supervision of the post holder.
- Participate in team meetings, to ensure clinical governance activities are maintained which will also include quality and management meetings.
- Participate in the training of core trainees including acting as a clinical supervisor. Also contribute to the teaching and training of other Doctors, Medical Students and MDT members as appropriate.
- Use the specific allocated time for agreed SPA activity as well and be compliant with the Trusts programme of mandatory training.
- Collaborate with colleagues to cover absences due to annual leave and study leave and short term sickness.
- They can be part of the local consultants peer group.
- oMB BS or equivalent medical qualification. Registration with the General Medical Council and on the Specialist Register.
- oMeets Royal College of Psychiatrists criteria for appointment to the post of Consultant.
- oBasic specialist training and 3 years higher or equivalent professional training
- oQualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- oPostgraduate degree in psychiatry MRC Psych or equivalent.
- oAdditional clinical qualifications
- oFully registered with the GMC with a licence to practice at the time of appointment.
- oIncluded on the GMC Specialist Register OR eligible to apply within six months.
- oHas approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment.
- oHas approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment.
- oWithin 6 months of expected CCT date.
Clinical skills, knowledge and experience
- oExperience in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Diagnosis and treatment of mental illness in a multi-disciplinary team setting.
- oAble to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty.
- oMakes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.