This is a replacement Consultant post in Clinical Immunology and an opportunity to join a world class team specialising in the diagnosis and management of complex immunological disorders.
The post holder will join a team of 2 medical consultants, there are also plans to create a post for a consultant clinical scientist, the post holder will take a lead role in the provision of one of the major subspecialties in the department.
The Department of Immunology for Barts Health NHS Trust is sited at the state-of-the-art Pathology and Pharmacy building at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel and provides diagnostic service with a fully comprehensive range of hospital departments providing elective and acute care including paediatrics, rheumatology, haematology, nephrology, dermatology, ENT, gastroenterology, respiratory medicine, infectious diseases, GUM/HIV.
The post-holder will also be the lead liaison for an external service agreement with a regional hospital in the area (undertaking both clinical and diagnostic laboratory leadership).
The department has a special interest in Primary and secondary immunodeficiency and is the largest and leading center for hereditary angioedema (HAE) in UK. There are close relationships with paediatrics and monthly paediatric immunology clinics and MDTMain duties of the job
The post-holder will have a shared responsibility for clinical and laboratory work in keeping with the job plan of the post. Main duties of the post include:
- weekly Adult Immunology Clini
- support the day case unit and participate in the assessment and management of a wide range of patients with immunological disease
- lead consultant for subspecialty clinic and associated portfolio of clinical trials if applicable
- provide clinical liaison with other specialities for outpatient and in-patient care for patients with immunological conditions
- support the home care programmes and provide advice over the telephone
- participate in the laboratory rota for clinical authorisation and commenting and interpretation of laboratory result
- provide ward consultation and advice to other specialties
- contribute to external SLA support
- participate in the on-call rota (1:3, category B) and provide clinical and laboratory
cover for colleagues annual, study leave and professional leave (mutual)
- participate in regular clinical and laboratory audit and quality assurance
- participate in the Trust's clinical governance activities, and encourage and foster improvements in the quality and standards of clinical services.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate, and support an inclusive working environment where staff treat one another with dignity and respect. We aim to create an equitable working environment where every individual can fulfil their potential.Barts Health supports The Pregnancy Loss Pledge and commits to supporting their staff through the distress of miscarriage. Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the job description and person specification for the main responsibilities of this role.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MBBS/MB ChB or equivalent
- MRCP or evidence of equivalent qualification.
- FRCPath or evidence of equivalent qualification.
- Full and specialist registration (and a licence to practise) with the General Medical Council (GMC) (or eligible for registration within six months of interview).
- Applicants that are UK trained, must ALSO be a holder of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or be within six months of award of CCT by date of interview.
- Applicants that are non-UK trained, will be required to show evidence of equivalence to the UK CCT.
- Evidence of continuing personal and professional development and keeps up to date with medical advances
- Academic degree in Immunology - MSc/MD/PhD
- Thorough and broad training and experience in Immunology
- Ability to take responsibility for delivering service without direct supervision.
- Thorough understanding of the principles of medical audit.
- Undertaken audit projects.
- Experience of undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching or training.
- Commitment in participating and understanding of the management process, and to demonstrating clinical leadership.
- Experience of undergraduate and/or postgraduate exam preparation.
- Interest in research with peer reviewed publications.
- Participation in service improvement projects.
- Attendance in a training the trainers or equivalent course Management training course
- Knowledge and experience of Immunology.
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice.
- Understanding of clinical risk management and clinical governance.
Employer details Employer name
- Broad range of IT skills
- Professional attitude towards work, reliability, good attendance record and tidy personal appearance.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clinical colleagues, colleagues in pathology and support staff.
- Good knowledge of, and ability to use, spoken and written English.
Barts Health NHS Trust Address
Royal London Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.