This post is for one senior clinical fellowship in Care of Elderly Medicine and Acute Medicine
based at Northampton General Hospital.
This post is to replace our current SCF who has been appointed to Higher Specialist Training in the same.The appointees will rotate around the CEM wards Brampton and Knightley, the Acute Frailty Unit, Eleanor ward and the Acute and Rehab Stroke wards Benham and Allebone. There may also be opportunities to also work in Orthogeriatrics. Any or all of these posts may also take part in the SpR or IMT3 on call rota for acute medicine.
This post is suitable for doctors wishing to pursue a career in Geriatrics and/or stroke who wish to gain further experience of the speciality either before starting Higher Specialist Training or to gain evidence and experience towards a CESR application. NGH has experience in training doctors to CCT in Care of Elderly Medicine via the CESR route and are developing enhanced mentoring and support systems for this.Main duties of the job
- The post holders will work alongside a team of Consultants and junior medical staff and specialist nurses to optimise the running of the Comprehensive Geriatric Service.
- The post-holder will work across all aspects of the service.
- There is close supervision by consultants and other appropriate specialist colleagues
- The key aim is to develop the knowledge, and skills required to work in a high quality comprehensive geriatric service.
- There are excellent opportunities to gain experience in all aspects of geriatric medicine. We also have developed links with our colleagues in palliative care, uro-gynaecology and liaison psychiatry to offer opportunities to gain experience in these areas.
- To participate in the future development of the Geriatric Services for the Trust, including development of the acute frailty service
- To provide strong leadership for the junior medical staff
- To assist in providing geriatric service to the Trust which may include an outpatient service for follow up of recently discharged patients or a new patient clinic for urgent referrals to avoid admission
- To support and provide teaching and training of junior medical staff, medical and physician associate students, post graduate training and nurse training on the unit
- To ensure good practice by regular audit and review of incidents with clinical team and take forward the lessons learnt
- To link in with the directorate clinical governance meetings and contribute to lessons learnt from incidents and complaints
NGH is one of the largest employers in the area and all of our divisions are committed to doing things better, with more efficiency as we update, modernise, and advance. We have also entered into a Group Model with neighbouring Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Being a large DGH with a proud history, we are big enough to get interesting cases, but small enough to care, coach and develop. With over 200 consultants, a similar number of trainees and approximately 60medical undergraduates throughout the year, NGH provides comprehensive care and extensive training opportunities.
With this in mind, we have built a state of the art emergency assessment unit (Nye Bevan building) and are developing new ways of working to streamline in-patient care and optimize working with our partners.
NGH also has a large library, gym with swimming pool, and a brand new entrance with Marks and Spencer, Subway and Costa on site. Job description Job responsibilities
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification for further information about this role.Person Specification Education, Training & Qualifications Essential
- Primary Medical Qualification
- A minimum of 2 years General Medicine Experience at CMT/IMT level
- Full MRCP (inc PACES)
Knowledge & Experience Essential
- MD, PhD or other higher degree
- Experience of managing unselected medical take
- Experience of audit in General Medicine
- Teaching Junior staff
Desirable Key Competencies/ Personal Qualities & Attributes Essential Desirable
- Able to perform a comprehensive geriatric assessment
- Able to work well in MDT
- Able to perform independently the required practical procedures: LP, pleural tap/drain, ascitic tap/ drain
Employer details Employer name
- Publications in Recognised Medicine Journals
- Research Projects relating to specialty
Northampton General Hospital Address
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.