This post is part of an expansion of the breast oncology team at the christie, with permanent roles currently being finalised.
The post will provide in-depth hands-on experience in breast management. The locum consultant will be an integral part of the Breast Team, treating patients with SACT, attending the MDT and running a number of clinics which will be confirmed with the successful candidate on appointment, these clinics may be based at non Withington based Christie sites. The post will involve close liaison with other members of the multidisciplinary team, working closely with the other consultants, registrars and nurses as required.Main duties of the job
To work as a consultant at the Christie within the breast medical oncology team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management of Breast patients receiving standard and clinical trials including treatment decisions and ongoing care. Participating in all relevant aspects of clinical governance, including maintaining up to date protocols, guidelines, and clinical audit, under the supervision of the other consultants in in the unit. The successful candidate will ccontribute to current research projects and establish new opportunities to expand and develop research within the team.
In addition the successful candidate will work on revision and development of evidence-based protocols for patients and undertaking the administrative duties associated with the care of their patients. Maintaining a level of continuing professional development consistent the recommendations of the Royal College and Physicians. Contributing to the undergraduate teaching of medical students on oncology topics and training of junior doctors and other multi-disciplinary team members in both in-patient and outpatient departments.About us
The Christie is one of Europe's leading cancer centres, treating over 60,000 patients a year. We are based in Manchester and serve a population of 3.2 million across Greater Manchester & Cheshire, but as a national specialist around 15% patients are referred to us from other parts of the country. We provide radiotherapy through one of the largest radiotherapy departments in the world chemotherapy on site and through 14 other hospitals highly specialist surgery for complex and rare cancer and a wide range of support and diagnostic services. We are also an international leader in research, with world first breakthroughs for over 100 years. We run one of the largest early clinical trial units in Europe with over 300 trials every year. Cancer research in Manchester, most of which is undertaken on the Christie site, has been officially ranked the best in the UK. Job description Job responsibilitiesDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The medical establishment provides The Breast Disease Group, Chaired by Dr Anne Armstrong and Dr Vivek Misra consists of 9 Clinical and 8 Medical Oncologists.
The appointee will be based at The Christie and will provide senior input to Outpatient clinics, Chemotherapy Services and Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings
The role will be responsible for:
- Management of Breast patients receiving standard and clinical trials including treatment decisions and ongoing care.
- Participating in all relevant aspects of clinical governance, including maintaining up to date protocols, guidelines and clinical audit, under the supervision of the other consultants in in the unit
- Contribute to current research projects and establish new opportunities to expand and develop research within the team.
- Revision and development of evidence-based protocols for patients and undertaking the administrative duties associated with the care of their patients
- Maintaining a level of continuing professional development consistent the recommendations of the Royal College and Physicians
- Contributing to the undergraduate teaching of medical students on oncology topics
- Providing lectures for the busy postgraduate teaching programme
- Actively contributing to the training of juniors doctors and other multi-disciplinary team members in both in-patient and outpatient departments
- Undertake clinical audit as a member of The Christie Medical Staff Committee
In addition, consultants in the department share in an on-call rota that involves a commitment to a full week in every twenty weeks. This covers the Specialist Registrar who is second on-call. The on-call consultant provides a post-take ward round each morning to review all newly admitted patients and any sick patients escalated by the team. This takes place seven days per week. Given the low frequency of on-call (1:20) the PAs associated with the predictable element of weekend on-call work form part of the job plan rather than time in lieu. This may be reviewed in the future if requirements for on-call change.
The post holder will have access to office accommodation with computer, intranet and internet and secretarial support.Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
The Trust supports the requirements for CPD as laid down by the GMC and royal colleges and is committed to providing time and financial support for these activities. The Christie Hospital offers a mentoring scheme for all new consultants on appointment.Job Planning
The job plan outlines the requirements of the post and may be altered by joint agreement with the Divisional Clinical Director and Service Manager and in response to service needs. Job Plans are also subject to an annual review as detailed in the Trusts Job Planning Policy. It is expected that the initial Job Plan discussion will take place within the first six months of employment at the Trust.
The annual review will examine all aspects of the job plan (including any Educational components) and will also include an assessment of professional development with defined goals for the future.Person Specification Person Specification Essential
- MRCP or equivalent qualification
- Entry on the General Medical Council (GMC) specialist register via one of the following: a.Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) (the proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview) b.Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration
- Evidence of productive ethical research relevant to oncology
- Wide experience of Oncology including Breast Cancer
- Appropriate experience across all disease groups in Medical Oncology as well as clinical trials experience (including Good Clinical Practice accreditation).
- Experience of clinical audit
- Experience in teaching undergraduates
Employer details Employer name
- An appropriate higher degree
- Recent publications in peer-reviewed journals
- An appropriate higher degree
- Breast clinical experience
- Research experience
- Relevant experience
The Christie NHS FT Address
Medical Oncology - E00251
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.