We are looking for experienced (3+ years), motivated doctors to join our team of 18 registrars in emergency medicine at Newham University Hospital. You will be working alongside ST4+ and ST3 trainees, specialist Drs and consultants providing clinical leadership to all areas of the department. Our emergency department has a reputation for both excellent and supportive training and an exciting casemix of emergency patients from a diverse population. There is a separate paediatric emergency department and clinical decision unit, and applicants with specific experience and interest in paediatrics only would be based here
The post offers the following opportunities:
- Develop clinical leadership skills, supervising junior trainees
- Work with a team of supportive and highly motivated consultants, dedicated to providing high quality teaching and training
- Gain experience in resuscitation and management of adult and paediatric emergencies, covering a wide range of pathologies and clinical procedures
- Attending and delivering weekly departmental teaching
- Time to develop skills in quality improvement and managing clinical risk and governance
This is a fixed-term role for minimum of 12 months, up to 48 hours per week, working a mixture of day, late and night shifts on a 1:3 rota. We fully support requests for flexible and less than full time working.Main duties of the job
In your clinical time you will be based in the Emergency Department at Newham University Hospital working as an Emergency Medicine registrar, alongside trainees and specialist doctors.
After an induction period, there will be opportunity to become involved in department quality improvement projects, education and governance (2-8 hours per week, depending on the project)
We are looking for candidates with abilities to supervise junior doctors, and with appropriate training and development to lead areas of the department. Successful candidates will be trained in all aspects of Emergency Care for both adults and children. There is a consultant on-site from 8am to midnight 7 days a week. Outside these hours the team is led by a senior ED trainee (ST4+) or trust grade doctor in close liaison with the senior nursing team. More junior candidates will receive support and training with a view to moving into this senior clinical leadership role when ready.
The ED has progressive Clinical Decision Units (CDU) for both Adults and Children. We also manage a SDEC / Medical Ambulatory unit with colleagues in acute medicine.
The baseline rota covers days, lates, weekends and nights, currently a 1:3 weekend frequency. Applications are open to both full-time and less than full-time doctors. The contracted hours are for up to 48 hours per week. Terms for annual leave and study leave with example rotas are available on request.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which ourWeCarevalues and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together. Job description Job responsibilitiesEmergency Medicine Clinical Duties
The post holder will work undertaking clinical duties as a registrar in Emergency Medicine at NUH including pro-rata out of hours work. They will work in all areas of the department, including Resus, Majors, Paeds, Front door assessment, SDEC and CDU
Each post will have a named educational and clinical supervisor.
There will be formal educational oversight of the role, with an induction, educational agreement, a personal development plan and regular appraisal.Person Specification Qualifications & Training Essential
- Full registration with General Medical Council
- MBBS or equivalent
- BLS / ALS
- PLAB if required
- Safeguarding level 2
- 24 months experience emergency medicine or acute specialties, with a minimum of 12 months in emergency medicine
Clinical Skills Essential
- Additional relevant degree (intercalated, masters or doctorate) APLS ATLS
- MRCEM or equivalent
- FRCEM or equivalent
- Safeguarding level 3
- USS level 2
- 3 years or more experience in emergency medicine and acute specialties
- Experience working at registrar level in emergency medicine
- Evidence of clinical competencies appropriate for stage in training
- An appropriate knowledge base, and ability to apply sound clinical judgement to problems
- Ability to prioritise clinical need
- Ability to maximise safety and minimise risk
- Ability to work without supervision where appropriate
- Experience leading the shift, managing the department
- Resuscitation course instructor
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice
- Understanding of research, including awareness of ethical issues
Leadership & Management Essential
- Evidence of relevant academic achievements, including publications / presentations
- Understanding of research methodology and ability to use basic qualitative and quantitative methods
- Evidence of effective team working and clinical leadership
- Self-awareness, with knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, impact and areas for development
- Interest in and knowledge of the importance of leadership and management for clinicians
Employer details Employer name
- Evidence of involvement in local management systems
- Attendance at leadership courses
- Evidence of effective leadership (e.g. evidence of leading innovations or improvements)
- Understanding of the local and national context of the NHS, including economic and political influences
Barts Health NHS Trust Address
Newham University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.