We are seeking to fill the above post, with the hope of the successful applicant starting in July 2023. All applicants must be in possession of the essential qualifications for the post and have experience at ST1 level in surgical specialties, or previous experience in Neurosurgery.
The South West Neurosurgery Centre is based at Derriford Hospital. The Unit provides a comprehensive Neurosurgical Service to the population of Devon, Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly and part of Somerset. The population of this area is approximately 1.6 million, but rises considerably during the summer months, with the influx of visitors from other parts of the U.K. and from abroad. Close links exist with the hospitals situated in Truro, Barnstaple, Exeter and Torbay. Rapid transfer of patients between outlying hospitals and Plymouth is facilitated by two helicopter air ambulances.
There is an Active Doctors Mess, Postgraduate Medical School, Medical Centre, Medical Library and Health and Leisure centre on site.Main duties of the job
This position is for a Senior House Officer in Neurosurgery, on a fixed term contract for 12 months.
Some experience at junior grade (F2-ST3 level) in Neurosurgery is desirable. The successful candidate will be required to take part, with the Foundation and Trust grade doctors, in a prospective partial shift rota to cover all inpatient neurosurgery. This rota includes blocks of night duty. There is prospective cover for leave but the appointee will not be able to take leave during the allocated block of night duties.About us
The South West Neurosurgery Centre is located at Derriford Hospital, a Level 1 Trauma Centre, in Plymouth and provides a comprehensive Neurosurgical Service to the adult population of Devon, Cornwall, the Isles of Scilly, and part of Somerset. The Centre has 30 ward beds, including 10 high observation (level 1) beds (Erme Ward) as well as a dedicated neuro intensive care and high dependency area (Pencarrow Ward). Job description Job responsibilities
Each SHO grade staff member will work primarily on the Neurosurgical ward providing general medical and neurosurgical care for the neurosurgery inpatients, with the support of a dedicated ward registrar and neurosurgery Advanced Care Practitioner. There is opportunity to undertake a variety of ward-based procedures and time is allocated to gain experience in theatre and outpatient clinics.Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification for further details.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Has achieved MBBS or equivalent medical qualification
Clinical Experience, Training & Skills Essential
- Has experience of working within the NHS
- Successful completion of MRCS or equivalent at time of application
- Satisfactory completion of F1 & F2 years or equivalent.
- ALS or equivalent
Academic Research Skills/ Teaching Management Essential
- Experience at foundation level/ equivalent or SHO level of neurosurgery
- ATLS or equivalent
- CRISP or equivalent
- Sound knowledge of basic clinical sciences and the ability to applying knowledge to clinical practice
- Able to prioritise clinical need and manage time effectively
- Aware of own limitations and know when to consult senior colleagues
- Understand the importance of working effectively in multi- disciplinary teams
- Interest in research
- Evidence of achievement of competencies in line with GMC standards/ Good Medical Practice
- Evidence of an interest in pursuing a career in Neuro/spinal surgery
- Evidence to endorse the relevance of neuro/spinal surgery to chosen career pathway
Employer details Employer name
- Eligible for registration with the General Medical Council
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust Address
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.