Endoscopy and Education Academy Fellow Medicine
Candidates are invited to apply for a 12-month Fellowship in both advanced luminal endoscopy and Education. The successful candidate will support the HPB service, develop the research work being carried out in the department and receive tertiary level training in HPB medicine, ERCP and EUS. The successful post holder for this post will also be involved with developing educational opportunities for Trainees through a wide range of teaching modalities. All our fellows are encouraged to undertake a PG Cert in Education and funding will be available to support this. It would be desirable but not a requirement be that applicants are JAG accredited at upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy. Previous experience of exposure to ERCP and/or EUS is also a pre-requisite.Main duties of the job
The Job will be split with two whole days spent in education and three whole days spent in the Gastroenterology department. The exact days spent in each is at the discretion of the fellow. The duties of the endoscopy post of these posts include at least 3 advanced endoscopy lists a week (EUS/ERCP/SPY/ EMR/ESD/ COLONIC/OESPHAGEAL STENT-Dr Choice), a service commitment of one HPB/Gastroenterology clinic or service list. The post holder will also attend the benign and malignant pancreatic MDTs and a weekly endoscopy governance meeting. Some of the endoscopy sessions will be flexible to support the 'backfill' of lists. Candidates will also have the opportunity take part in the on call GI bleeding rota with associated banding supplement if desired
The Education Academy within Barts Health is expanding in response to the need with increasing numbers of students and trainees and commitment to offer the best educational experience for our trainees. There is a real need to ensure that students receive excellent tuition and that trainees have the best possible educational supervision. In line with our Education Strategy, we intend to improve education by building an Education Fellow faculty base made up of Specialty Teaching Fellows who contribute to both undergraduate and postgraduate training, and support Inter-professional Innovations.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment.Job description Job responsibilities
Barts Health Simulation Service has four dedicated Simulation and Essential Clinical Skills Centres based at Newham University Hospital, Whipps Cross University Hospital, St Bartholomews and the Royal London. Each of these centres has a proud history of being innovative and award winning. These departments are teaching areas with fully equipped simulation and clinical skills teaching and Haptic Clinical Skills facilities..
The post holder would be responsible for their own personal development plan, with regards to both service and educational work. Regular appraisal must be undertaken with their clinical supervisor and Simulation Lead Specialist. The post holder will work closely with the Associate Director of Simulation to identify Educational Deliverables.
The post is covered by the Terms and Conditions of Service of Hospital Medical and Dental Staff (England and Wales), as amended from time to time.
- The post holder will work closely with other members of the team to ensure high quality HPB and gastroenterology services within the strategic framework agreed by the team.
- Work with the Education department to support and provide education and simulation
The contract is 12 month, fixed-term and is 40:60 teaching and clinical. 40 % of the time will be dedicated to Education Delivery. 60% of the time will be undertaken within gastroenterology. This is a 40 hour week contract, with the opportunity to be part of the oncall rota. Candidates must have NHS Clinical experience
The post will have opportunities to be involved in other teaching programmes including Foundation Trainees, and interdisciplinary simulation training.
For more information please contact Rachel.firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Director of Simulation
Patrick.email@example.com Patrick Wilson-Consultant in gastronterologyPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
- oHigher Medical audit relevant to stage of training e.g. MRCP/FRCA
- oPostgraduate Qualification (MD/ PhD)
- oClinical background of either GIM/ Acute Medicine
- oPrevious experience in delivering education, ideally in an inter-professional setting
- oEvidence of expert clinical skills & ability to work outside traditional boundaries
- oExperience of involvement in research/written papers/public presentation
- oNHS Clinical Experience
- oFoundation & Core Programme Completion
- oBasic knowledge of educational theory
- oComputer literacy: word, excel, power point
- oExcellent communication skills
- oAbility to teach a wide range of both clinical & non-technical skills
- oAbility to interact well with all members of a multi-professional team & at all grades of seniority
- oDemonstrate commitment & enthusiasm to the provision of quality & innovative education
- oAbility to adapt teaching approach to suit the grade, seniority, profession & individual learning needs of trainees
- oWork flexibly to ensure training is delivered appropriately
- oDemonstrate sensitivity & support in difficult training situation
- oAbility to discuss & teach knowledgeably & confidently on all aspects of clinical acute care
- oDemonstrates both self-motivation & ability to motivate others
- oCan skilfully adapt and utilise a number of communication strategies with a diverse range of people
- oDemonstrate sensitivity & support in difficult training situation
Employer details Employer name
- Effective in non-routine, unpredictable situations
Barts Health NHS Trust Address
Royal London Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.