We are seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist to join the STEPs eating disorder service.
This is a new post, which has been created to maintain quality of patient care and safeguard the wellbeing of the team's existing medical staff, in response to increased clinical demand.
The post holder will be working across the inpatient and outpatient parts of the service, dedicating 2/3 of their clinical time to the former and 1/3 to the latter.
They will be working alongside the two experienced Consultant Psychiatrists already employed by the service. They will be additionally supported by SAS grade and training grade medical colleagues as detailed above. As the post holder will have a very high level of peer support available to them, the post would be particularly suitable for new consultants, as well as consultants with limited previous experience in eating disorders who wish to develop their interest in the sub-specialty.Main duties of the job
The post holder will offer direct psychiatric care to STEPs inpatient and outpatient service users, including specialist psychiatric assessment, diagnostic formulation and treatment planning. There will also be opportunities to engage in psychotherapeutic work with service users and to facilitate evidence-based interventions for eating disorder.
They will work collaboratively with members of the two multi-disciplinary teams within the STEPs service, both in planned (e.g. MDT and CPA meetings) and ad hoc (e.g. professional discussions) contexts.
They will also work collaboratively with health and social care professionals outside the STEPs service, as well as third sector professionals, whenever this is appropriate for service users' needs.
There will be opportunities to engage in psychotherapeutic work with service users and to facilitate evidence-based interventions for eating disorderAbout usWe are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset.
Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care. Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a inpatient and community setting.
Personal Skills Essential
- Experience of assessing and treating patients with eating disorders and comorbid substance misuse problems
Clinical Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Ability to assess and treat adults, children or young people with eating disorders
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Knowledge of alternatives to inpatient admission care approaches.
Research and Audit Essential
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions. Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab). UK Registration
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).Employer details Employer name
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust Address
Blackbery Hill Hospital
Manor Road, Fishponds
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.