We are looking for a Locum Consultant in Stroke Medicine to join the team at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, to further develop our service. This is a full time role to support the growth of our service and to improve the service we provide to the people of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre.
It is an exciting time to join the team as we are in the end stages of becoming a Hyper-Acute Stroke Unit (HASU) as part of the commissioning project for Lancashire and South Cumbria, as well as developing an all round Integrated Community Stroke and Neuro Rehabilitation Service. With all the exciting developments within the service, we are looking for someone who is motivated, keen and innovative to support the work that is currently underway and contribute in making the Stroke Unit in Blackpool truly great.Main duties of the job
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust serves a population of 330,000. The Fylde coast is a beautiful place to live with easy access to both rural and urban pursuits. Blackpool Victoria Hospital has 849 beds and provides acute medical services, tertiary cardiology and tertiary haematology.
Key duties will be supervising and running core and specialist clinics, caring for patients on our wards in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team, including ward nurses and specialist nursing teams. The unit is very active in research and audit and the post holder will be expected to fully participate in this activity.
You must hold full registration with the General Medical Council.About us
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is ideally situated just a forty five minute drive from Manchester. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients. The hospital has a reputation as a friendly, welcoming place to work.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents -it's not just a good place to work it's a great place to live
. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south. Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the detailed job description and person specification for more details on this post.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Full registration with the General Medical Council
- Higher Training in General Internal Medicine and Stroke Medicine, Geriatrics, Neurology or Rehabilitation Medicine as required for CCT
- Entry onto the Specialist Registrar or a UK SpR within 6 months of CCT date at interview
Experience and clinical skills Essential
- Post graduate degree e.g. MD, PhD, MSc
- Training and experience in the management of stroke patients including stroke thrombolysis and rehabilitation.
- Ability to offer expert clinical opinion on a full range of acute medical conditions including medical emergencies.
- Ability to take full and independent responsibility for the clinical care of patients
- Good practical clinical skills
- Competency in Intermediate Life support
- Advanced Life Support desirable.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent oral, aural and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with difficult situations
- Ability to communicate effectively in English
- Basic training in management skills
- An understanding of management in the context of the Health Service
- Ability to manage risk and end of life decisions.
- Evidence of good organisational and leadership skills
- Attendance at management course
- Abilities to participate in committees
- Ability to initiate and lead service developments
- Experience of teaching Juniors, medical students and Allied Health professionals
Audit & Research Essential
- Attendance at teaching course
- Evidence of audit work and where this has brought about change
- Evidence of understanding research methodology
- An awareness of current specialty specific developments and initiatives
- Having or planning to obtain NIHR Good Clinical Practice certification.
- Evidence of work submitted for Peer review
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical problems
Employer details Employer name
- Transport available to undertake the duties of the post
- Live within 15 miles of the hospital.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Address
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals
Whinney Heys Rd
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.