We are seeking a dedicated and passionate consultant who shares our vision for delivering outstanding mental health care to join our Acute Hospital Liaison Service. This is an established post based at at the Victoria Centre, Great Western Hospital, Swindon.
The Great Western Hospital is a modern 670 bedded multi-specialty district General Hospital.
The post offered is that of a Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry or have completed Dual Training,
Main duties of the job
You will share the Responsible Clinician role for patients detained under the Mental Health Act to Great Western Hospital, Swindon. The Liaison Psychiatry Service is a fully integrated service, providing assessment, diagnosis and therapeutic service for patients aged 18 years and above who develop psychiatric morbidity while being treated at Great Western hospital. The Mental Health Liaison Team accepts referrals for all service users over the age of 18 where there are mental health concerns.
This includes adults of working age and older age service users with frailty and cognitive problems. Referrals are received from the Emergency Department and all inpatient medical wards and departments. Advice and support are also provided for service users' families and carers and health professionals wishing to make a referral or simply raise for case discussion, which may or may not lead to referral. After a referral is made, service users remain under the overall responsibility of the Acute Trust.
We are committed to your ongoing CPD, seeking to optimise your talents and enable you to achieve your career aspirations.The organisation will support the development of your areas of subspecialties and special interest.
We offer one of the most competitive and flexible benefits packages, including a relocation package of up to 8,000.
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in an inpatient/community setting.
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
53 Downs Way
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.
342 - RVN017-BSW- RS