The positions described in this job description are for full time consultant physicians in respiratory and general medicine based at Northampton General Hospital.
This significant expansion is to both support a change in the acute medical model, and to expand and develop specialist respiratory services.
You will be expected to contribute to the acute take as part of this role, and the near doubling of our numbers creates an opportunity to achieve a step-change in our respiratory services.
Your role is an integral part of this exciting development. Once we have sufficient numbers we will be aiming to deliver a respiratory in-reach service with less emphasis on acute medicine. It is important to understand that the role described currently may change significantly and you will be part of driving that change for the better care of respiratory patients.Main duties of the job
To provide clinical services in respiratory and internal medicine to the local population of south Northamptonshire including inpatient care, respiratory clinics and procedures (including pleural and bronchoscopic procedures).
To participate in the development of Respiratory Medicine services.
To provide input to the education of medical undergraduates on placement in NGH.
To support and provide teaching and training of junior medical staff, post graduate training and nurse training on the unit.
To participate in the Department of Medicine meetings
To ensure good practice by regular audit and review of incidents with the clinical team and take forward lessons learnt.
To link with directorate clinical governance meetings and contribute to lessons learnt from incidents and complaints.
To take part in the on call medical rota. The consultant will be expected to join the on call rota for acute medical admissions to the emergency units.
The appointee will link with all the acute physicians involved in the admission of respiratory patients and other colleagues in the specialty across Northamptonshire.About us
We are a welcoming and friendly group of clinicians who are currently embarking on an exciting new journey within respiratory medicine at Northampton General Hospital. We believe the team is the key to our success and work hard to ensure the respiratory department is a supportive, fun and motivated group of individuals. We are currently undergoing significant expansion of the footprint of both our chest clinic and gaining a Level 1 Respiratory Support unit which allows us to develop the service in a very positive way to fulfil the needs of our patients. There are many exciting opportunities ahead of us. We describe the current service initially and then the up and coming changes that are happening within our service.Job description Job responsibilities
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for further details. Please note: This job is pending RCP approval.Person Specification Qualifications and Training Essential
- Relevant specialty degree qualification
- Completion of Specialty Training (CST or equivalent) or within 6 months of achieving it in relevant specialty
- MRCP (UK) or an equivalent qualification
Other requirements Essential
- MD, PhD or other higher degree
- Education / Medical Education Qualification (preferably at Masters level)
Teaching, Audit and Quality Improvement Essential
- Full registration with General Medical Council
- Experience of Audit and Quality Improvement
- Experience of Teaching Junior Staff
- Experience of Undergraduate Teaching
Management and leadership experience Essential
- Experience in Curriculum development and delivery
- Effective Team worker, valuing the experience and contributing
- Demonstrable Team Leadership skills and experience
Academic achievements and research Desirable
- Understanding and experience of delivering organisational change
Interpersonal skills Essential
- Publications in recognised Medicine / Medical Education Journals or Presentations at National Level
- Research experience relating to quality improvement
- High level Organisational Skills
- Communication Skills
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.