Locum Consultant in Stroke Medicine
- Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Swindon, Wiltshire
- £88,364 - £119,133
- Closing date
- 7 Jun 2023
- Hospital, Neurology
- Career Level
- Full Time
Locum Consultant in Stroke Medicine
The Great Western Hospital is pleased to be able to offer the opportunity to Stroke Medicine Consultants to join the existing team as maternity locum cover for one year.
Are you looking to start your career as a Consultant in a supportive and caring Stroke Service, or are you an existing Consultant looking for a new and exciting change where you can really make a difference? Either way, we are a supportive and close knit team who are focussed on giving the very best care to our patients at all times and we would love to have you on board.
The successful candidate will be working closely with the existing team of Consultants to contribute and improving our stroke pathways and SSNAP performance. We believe that this is essential for us to provide a first class service where the patients and their relatives come first.
The Stroke/Neurology team are well located in the Betjeman Centre, which is on the ground floor of GWH. This is home to the department’s outpatient clinic rooms, day hospital, therapy centre and office space for the Consultant team and their secretarial support. There is also a rehabilitation service for Stroke, which is provided by SWICC in a separate building, located on site at GWH.
The Duties outlined below are not definitive and may be changed in accordance with the needs of the service.
- Multidisciplinary team working is key component of the working within the Trust and involves regular MDT discussions with colleagues
- Providing evidence-based care for patients in a multidisciplinary setting.
- Continuing responsibility for the care of patients in your charge, including all administrative duties associated with patient care (with secretarial support)
- Development of sub specialty interests that fit in with Division needs and the strategic direction of the Trust.
- Responsibilities for carrying out teaching, examination and accreditation duties are required, and for contributing to undergraduate and post-graduate and continuing medical education activity.
- Provision of cover for Consultant colleagues’ periods of leave in accordance with arrangements agreed within Trust policy.
- Participation in clinical audit and in continuing medical education.
- Conducting suitable duties in cases of emergencies and unforeseen circumstances.
- The post holder will participate in an out of hours consultant rota, detailed within the job plan section
- Detail other responsibilities such as the patients that will be under the care of the successful candidate
Our STAR values are at the heart of everything we do. You can expect to see them in the way we act and the way we treat each other. Our values make us who we are. We will expect your values and behaviours to reflect the STAR Values of the organisation:
Service We will put our patients first
Teamwork We will work together
Ambition We will aspire to provide the best service
Respect We will act with integrity
Management and Leadership Responsibilities:
All staff in each Division are managerially accountable through their Lead Clinician to the Associate Medical Director, who has overall responsibility for the services within the Division. Consultants are key members of the Division and are accountable and responsible for leading changes to service that will improve the patient experience.
- To support the Clinical Lead in policy and strategy development as a senior member of the Division Management Team.
- To contribute to the leadership and development of Services under the direction of the Clinical Lead and Associate Medical Director and in line with the Trust’s business plans.
- The post holder will ensure effective communication and involvement of staff across the Division including support to the Divisional Director to achieve their objectives.
- Work in partnership with colleagues in other Divisions within the Trust.
- As part of the Division Management Team, assist in the cost effective utilisation of resources, including pay and non-pay items such as equipment and drugs, within budgets.
- Work within the Trust’s framework for Clinical Governance and Risk, including the development of clinical policies and adherence to standing orders, standing financial instructions and financial procedures.
- Undertake direct supervision of junior colleagues and participate in departmental/trust wide teaching programmes.
- Undertake investigations and report writing for incidents and participate in clinical risk management
- Appointed candidates will embody the STAR values and use the principles of the NHS Constitution for England to guide decisions.
For further information and to apply please visit www.jobs.nhs.co.uk and locate the vacancy using reference number 249-MED9991245
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert