Consultant Physician in Geriatric Medicine
- Swansea Bay University Health Board
- £87,354 to £113,408 a year per annum
- Closing date
- 7 Jun 2023
- Hospital, Geriatric medicine
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Applications are invited for a Consultant Physician in Geriatric Medicine to join the team at Swansea Bay University Health Board . This is a replacement post due to retirement.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will:
Be responsible for inpatient care on a dedicated care of the elderly ward in Morriston Hospital.
Supervise the medical treatment, rehabilitation and complex discharge planning of older people living with frailty on the inpatient ward.
Have the opportunity to share responsibility with the existing consultants to deliver the acute frailty service. On a rotational basis the postholder will lead a multidisciplinary team assessing older people admitted to a dedicated acute frailty unit within the Acute Frailty Unit in the Acute Medical Unit.
Contribute to the acute medical intake. The current rota frequency is
- 1:16 Monday to Friday 5-8pm and next day PTWR 9am-12noon (not Saturday)
- 1:16 Monday to Friday 5-9pm and overnight on call
- 1:11 weekends (two consultants 8am-2pm and one consultant 2pm-8pm and overnight)
Contribute to Same Day Emergency Care Hot clinic provision
Have the opportunity to have a session to develop a relevant special interest. Current interests include acute care, Orthogeriatrics, surgical liaison. Additional special interests (such as movement disorders or community geriatrics) are welcomed
Contribute to the departments strong record in undergraduate and post graduate training.
We believe staff are our best asset and wewant you to be happy and confident about starting your career here in Swansea Bay University Health Board.
As one of the biggest healthcare groups in the UK we can offer a wealth of professional training and development opportunities in an innovative, forward-thinking organisation.
You might be a nurse ordoctor, maybe you specialise in a health science/therapy or can offer skills in one of our support services - wehave a job for you.
There are also apprenticeships, work placementsand volunteering roles available.
We are an inclusive employer and welcome applications from everyone whatever their sex; religion or belief; race; age; sexual orientation; gender identity or, whether they are pregnant or have recently been on maternity leave, married or are in a civil partnership; or, whether they are disabled.
Our values - Caring For Each Other, Working Together and Always Improving, show thatour commitment to equality is at the heart of everything we do.
If you want excellent career and training opportunities while living on the doorstep of some of Europe's most spectacular scenery,with all the benefits of a thriving and cosmopolitan city - look no further.
Under our Changing for the Future strategy, Swansea Bay University Health Board have embarked on an exciting change programme developing our three main hospitals in Swansea Bay (Morriston, Singleton and Neath Port Talbot) as centres of excellence for different types of care. Morriston Hospital will become the centre of excellence for urgent and emergency care, specialist care and regional surgical services for Swansea Bay, including complex medical interventions,
As part of our vision for the future we have created exciting acute medicine opportunities within our newly constructed ï¿½3.5m 45-bed Acute Medical Unit (AMU) based on the Morriston Hospital site. This 21st Century Acute Medical Unit is a dedicated front of house facility with an integrated trolley-based Assessment Unit and a new Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) unit. Supported by integrated diagnostics, therapies, and pharmacy hubs.
The new acute medical unit provides a single medical intake for the population of Swansea Bay UHB based at Morriston Hospital. This is an amazing opportunity for a highly motivated Geriatrician with expertise in General and Acute Medicine to provide high quality care for the population in Swansea, inform and shape the acute medical service which will improve access and quality of care for our patients.
Since December 2022 the Swansea-wide frailty teams have merged have established a new acute frailty model delivering holistic multidisciplinary CGA in a dedicated Acute Frailty Unit (AFU) based within the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.
The AFU has 17 beds under the care of the Acute Frailty Team. The multidisciplinary team includes an advanced nurse practitioner, physicians associate, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, therapy technician, pharmacist and pharmacy technician.
The team currently operates Monday-Friday developing a multi-disciplinary plan for patients treatment and rehabilitation. There is a strong emphasis on early supportive discharge accessing appropriate community services, medicines management, advanced care planning and clear communication at the transitions of care.
This will be a 10 session job plan (7 DCC; 3 SPA) as per the Welsh Consultant contract.
- Registered with the GMC
- Licensed to practice
- On Specialist Register with GMC as a specialist in Geriatric Medicine and general internal medicine or eligible for CCT within 6 months of date of interview and have passed exit exam or a statement of eligibility for registration issued by GMC or a primary medical qualification and recognized specialist qualification from a European Member State which will allow direct entry to the GMC Specialist Register
- Relevant higher degree e.g. PhD, MD, MSc
- Teaching qualification/Higher qualification in medical education
- Evidence of an ability to develop effective working relationships, on an individual and multi-disciplinary basis with all levels of staff (Working Together)
- Evidence of working with management and clinical colleagues to improve a service (Always Improving)
- Values partnership with other agencies (Working Together)
- Evidence of teaching and training of post/undergraduate clinical staff
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and completing audit
- Development and commissioning of services
- Experience of research in geriatric medicine/general internal medicine
Skills & Abilities
- Effective leadership; ability to take responsibility and demonstrate leadership when appropriate Understands the importance of effective Team Working with all levels of staff, take time to listen, understand and involve people; receptive to appropriate change (Working Together)
- Understands and can apply the principles of Prudent Healthcare (Caring for each other)
- Excellent interpersonal skills - ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with patients, colleagues, relatives and staff; communicate openly and honestly and explain things clearly (Caring for each other)
- Flexible and adaptable to competing demands with the ability to work effectively under pressure and cope with setbacks
- Ability to undertake on-call
Swansea Bay UHB covers a population of approximately 390,000 in the Swansea and Neath Port Talbot areas, with an annual budget of around £1bn. The health board employs approximately 12,500 staff.
It has three major hospitals providing a range of services: Morriston and Singleton in Swansea, and Neath Port Talbot Hospital in Port Talbot. We also have a community hospital and primary care resource centres providing clinical services outside the main hospitals.
Primary care independent contractors play an essential role in the care of our population and the health board commissions services from GPs, opticians, pharmacists and dentists across the area.
We have 49 GP practices in our health board area, 72 dental practices including orthodontists, 31 optometry practices and 92 community pharmacies. Mental health and learning disabilities services are provided both in hospital and community settings.
The Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery at Morriston Hospital forms part of the UK network of burns and plastic surgery units, covering Wales, and the south west of England. Morriston is one of two specialist cardiac surgery services in Wales.
Other specialist services provided by the health board included cleft lip and palate, renal, fertility and bariatric surgery. Forensic mental health services are provided to a wider community which extends across the whole of South Wales.
The health board has an excellent reputation for research and innovation, with excellent links with Swansea University.
Swansea Bay University Health Board
- Morriston Hospital - our largest site, hosting our Emergency Department and tertiary services. One of the largest in Wales
- Singleton Hospital hosts a range of acute services and maternity unit
- Neath Port Talbot Hospital provides a range of inpatient, outpatient and day case services
- We also provide a comprehensive Mental Health Service at Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend sites, along with Gorseinon Hospital for Assessment and Rehabilitation of Older People
- Learning Disabilities - Celebrating 100 years of Learning Disability Nursing
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert