Service Medical Registrar (SMHS)
- Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group
- Perth (Region), Western Australia (AU) Australia (AU)
- MP Year 1-7 $115,028 - $157,053 p.a pro rata
- Closing date
- 24 Aug 2023
- Contract Type
- Fixed Contract
- Full Time, Part Time
Beautiful beaches, big blue skies, sunshine and an amazing outdoors lifestyle - in combination with an exceptional and rewarding medical opportunity. Interested in an opportunity starting 2023?
- Exceptional learning and experience opportunities across the new $2 billion dollar flagship tertiary Fiona Stanley Hospital and the port city-located Fremantle Hospital; with more than 1000 beds across these two sites.
- The well-established Medical Education unit offers a wide curriculum of education and professional development opportunities and individually focussed wellbeing support to all our doctors.
- We are happy to discuss and support international candidates with a range of visa options according to your requirements. For more information on employment visas, you can visit the Department of Home Affairs website; or contact Dr Barbara King and Dr Gillian Scott via the contact details below.
- Generous leave benefits include; 4 weeks annual leave, up to 1 week additional leave, 3 weeks professional development leave and long service leave accruals.
- Offering newborn to geriatric care, our services include the states specialist services in Rehabilitation and Burns; plus Advanced Lung Disease, multiple transplant services (including cardiac, lung, renal), Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Adult and Paediatric Emergency, Mental Health, Neonates, Paediatrics, Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Haematology, Infectious Diseases, Medical Oncology, Nephrology, Neurology, Rehabilitation, Respiratory Medicine, Rheumatology and Stroke; the ALERT prevention of deterioration service, Intensive care cardiothoracic Surgery, General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Urology and more.
- A base salary of $115,028 - $157,053 p.a. pro rata, plus 11% superannuation and allowances (these rates are applicable at 1 July 2023) and salary packaging benefits.
The successful team member will have the chance to:
- develop skills from leaders in Australian healthcare,
- be involved and contribute within our friendly and energetic multidisciplinary teams,
- learn leadership skills; and
- engage in ongoing learning and education, that is provided with continuous improvement and practice challenges that come from working as an integral team member within different specialties and services.
If you are looking for a refreshing change, opportunity to develop your career and be part of a team providing excellent health care, this could be for you.
Hear what it’s like to work with us from our junior medical staff in the video below.
There are current opportunities available and we are looking for SMR to start with us in 2023. To apply, just follow our easy application instructions below.
Please note: this process is for SMHS job opportunities starting in 2023. The WA Health system will publish a centralised SMR recruitment process on MedJobsWA for SMR intakes in January 2024.
Our Values guide our work in every action, and that includes recruitment and employment. We encourage Aboriginal people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, LGBTQIA+ people, and people with disability to work with us.
Want to know more? We encourage you to contact Dr Barbara King or Dr Gillian Scott, Deputy Directors Clinical Services via email at JMOcareers@health.wa.gov.au
Your application should include:
A cover letter of no more than three (3) pages addressing the following criteria –
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, carers, colleagues and others involved in health services in order to facilitate the provision of high-quality health care.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills to provide safe, timely patient-centered care.
- Demonstrated participation in continuing medical education activities to maintain and upgrade knowledge and skills.
- Commitment to safety and quality in healthcare through awareness of safe clinical practice within own limitations, and continuous improvement of patient outcomes.
A current CV of no more than four (4) pages (which clearly demonstrates your clinical and procedural experience as a medical practitioner for >6 months in an Australian hospital or comparable hospital setting within the last 3 years.*
*comparable hospital settings are listed in the attached “Western Australia Health - comparable hospital settings” document
A one-page statement of your citizenship, or residency status – noting that visa sponsorship opportunities will be available for eligible applicants; plus
- eligibility for registration with the Medical Board of Australia (and medical qualifications); or current Medical Board of Australia registration information.
- Plus, a copy of your AMC certificate, and English Competency examinations (for international and temporary visa holders only).
This is an “open-ended” recruitment pool, and as such the following should be noted:
- The recruitment panel will monitor this recruitment pool for applications and will assess on a regular basis.
- Suitable applicants will be placed in a pool from which appointments may be made when similar vacancies occur.
- Appointments may be made from this pool until 15/01/2024.
Apply by clicking Apply Now button
Lodgment is system generated. Any submissions on, or after, 4:00pm on the closing date will not be accepted.
About Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group
Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group
The single streamlined governance structure of Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group (FSFHG) helps to ensure greater integration between the Fiona Stanley Hospital (external site) and Fremantle Hospital with better access and flow for patients within and across specialty areas.
Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group (FSFHG) comprises:
- Fiona Stanley Hospital
- Fremantle Hospital
- Rottnest Island Nursing Post
Fiona Stanley Hospital
Fiona Stanley Hospital is the major tertiary hospital in the south metropolitan area and offers comprehensive health care services to adults, youth and children. It has 783 beds and offers:
- Acute, general and specialist medical and surgical services
- Subacute services including rehabilitation and aged care
- Comprehensive cancer services
- State adult burns unit
- State rehabilitation service including ventilator dependent quadriplegic service and spinal outreach service
- State heart, lung, and bone marrow transplant service
- Renal transplant
- Emergency and intensive care
- Mental health
- Maternity, paediatric and neonatal services.
Read more about Fiona Stanley Hospital here
Providing specialist hospital services, Fremantle Hospital plays a vital role in supporting the tertiary services of Fiona Stanley Hospital and delivers specialist services including mental health, aged care, and elective surgical services in the following specialties:
- general medicine
- geriatric medicine, including subacute services and rehabilitation
- general surgery
- plastic surgery
- specialised hand surgery
- ear, nose and throat (ENT)
- dental and maxillo-facial
Learn more about Fremantle Hospital here.
FSFHG also provides some medical staffing to the Rockingham Peel Group.
South Metropolitan Health Service
At SMHS we deliver quality, safe and effective hospital services within a catchment area stretching 3,300 square kilometres across the southern half of Perth.
We are dedicated and committed to delivering excellent health care, every time. We set out to achieve this with a strong set of values of Care, Integrity, Respect, Excellence and Teamwork.
Our hospital network includes:
- Fiona Stanley Hospital
- Fremantle Hospital
- Rockingham General Hospital
- Murray District Hospital
- Peel Health Campus (transitioning to SMHS in 2024)
Our network of hospitals and community-based health services work closely with our community partners including GPs, local government and population health services to enhance the recovery and rehabilitation outcomes of our patients and clients.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert