Consultant in Diabetes and Endocrinology
- East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year per annum
- Closing date
- 18 Apr 2023
- Hospital, Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Diabetes and Endocrinology department of East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust serve a population of approximately 500,000. We have a workload of the following:
- Outpatient clinics - 2 new and 6-7 follow up patients seen in a 4 hour session
- Inpatients - 45 patients on Ward 10A and B supported by 3 consultants at any time
- DOT support - 7 day in patient care to people with diabetes on the wards alongside DSNs
This post will be part of a core team of 12 consultants within the department rotating fortnightly, delivering general medical and inpatient consultant led diabetes and endocrine care at the Lister hospital. The inpatient diabetes outreach team (DOT) delivers effective diabetes review and care within 24 hours of admission during normal working hours, and within 48 hours of admission over weekends and bank holidays.
Main duties of the job
This is an excellent opportunity within the Diabetes and Endocrinology department at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust.
The successful post holder will provide specialist clinics in diabetes and endocrinology both hospital and community settings and contribute to general medical ward and diabetes outreach care , and the acute medicine on call rota.
The post holder will carry out ward duties in GIM and be part of the diabetes outreach team (DOT), as well as holding clinics in diabetes, endocrinology in the hospital but also possibly community settings. The post comprises 10 programmed activities (PAs).
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation; our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.
- Maintenance of high quality patient centred care
- Shared responsibility for the day to day management of the service and participation in strategic planning
- Teaching and training within the multidisciplinary service
- Active involvement in multidisciplinary team meetings and directorate clinical governance activity
- Active participation in continuing medical education
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- College Membership (MRCP) or qualification of an equivalent level
- Advanced Life Support or demonstration of ability to achieve ALS immediately upon appointment
- College Fellowship
- Postgraduate academic degree
- Broad range of experience in Diabetes and Endocrinology and experience of Acute General Medicine
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to offer and be accountable for full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of audit, evidence based practice and clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Demonstrable experience and participation in research
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance and the identification of errors and the learning from errors.
- Evidence engagement with appraisal and revalidation
- Able to show situational awareness and application of good decision making
- Ability to effectively teach clinical skills
- Ability to critically appraise published evidence
- Demonstrate understanding of basic principles of audit, evidence based practice and clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Comprehensive knowledge and insight regarding all the domains within the GMC standards of Good Medical Practice
- Demonstrates an interest and commitment to the specialty
- Experience and evidence of engagement around the equality, diversity and inclusion agenda
- Able to actively support the development of a culture that recognises and promotes equality, values diversity, and actively leads by example in deploying these qualities
- Understands the impact on equality,
- Role model our Trust values every day
- Understands and can demonstrate the values of the NHS constitution
- Evidence of being up to date and fit to practice safely, and aware of own training needs
Introduction to East & North Herts NHS Trust
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our community has never been more important than it is now.
We are a forward-looking and progressive acute trust which operates across four sites; acute services are offered at the Lister Hospital; specialist cancer services at the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC); and non-acute services offered at Queen Elizabeth II and Hertford County hospital. As an organisation, we are continually striving to improve the high-quality care we provide and are on a journey of transformation. We have a turnover of £540m, employ 6,600 staff and provide services across East and North Hertfordshire and parts of South Bedfordshire to a population of nearly 650,000 people.
We are very proud of our successes: we have one of the lowest mortality rates in the country, ended each of 2019/20 and 2020/21 with a small financial surplus, have just recorded our lowest staff vacancy rate ever, hit our cancer waiting time targets throughout the past year and in October 2020 we won the regional NHS Parliamentary Award for our commitment to providing staff support.
Medical & Dental
If you are interested in further your medical career with us, we want to hear from you.
We are proud of the commitment to education, learning and development that we provide. Our 12-month consultant induction programme is something that we are particularly proud of and we run a variety of innovative and practical topics such as “being a new consultant – things I wish I’d known”, research and development and patient flow/site management.
If you are interested in furthering your medical career with us, regardless of where you are in your career, we would love to hear from you. Our medical resourcing team always do their best to ensure all of our doctors have a fantastic experience on their recruitment journey with us, from providing valuable information on the local area and arranging pre-interview meetings for you with the departments and executive colleagues.
We are proud of our relocation offer and we welcome applicants from overseas as well as within the UK.
Hear from Michael, our Medical Director, on what it’s like to work here.
Hear from Prithi about the support we offer to our international doctor arrivals.
- Lister Hospital
Coreys Mill Lane
- 01438 286 739
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert