Consultant in Respiratory Medicine
- East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- £84,559 to £114,003 a year per annum
- Closing date
- 3 May 2023
- Hospital, Respiratory medicine
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Our complete commitment to developing careers means we're looking for proactive, motivated, forward thinking, and dynamic individuals to join our clinical team. This post is an important part of our ongoing development of medical services at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, offering the successful applicant the opportunity to work closely with the existing Respiratory physicians to provide a high standard of care across the Trust. We are seeking consultants with enthusiasm, commitment, and drive to work closely with colleagues throughout the organisation and within the community to help lead the organisation.
This is a full-time consultant in general medicine with an interest in respiratory medicine and a sub-speciality interest in interstitial lung disease. The successful applicant will work closely with the present team of nine employed across the whole Trust, which includes the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, the New QEII Hospital in Welwyn Garden City and Hertford County Hospital in Hertford. The appointee will be based at the Lister Hospital, Stevenage, where the respiratory in-patients has been centralised, but will be expected to work at the sites within the Trust including the New QEII hospital at Welwyn Garden city and Hertford County Hospital at Hertford.
Main duties of the job
The appointee will be expected to augment the services provided by the department, which provides a respiratory service 7 days a week and the applicant will be involved in 7 day working. S/He will be part of the General Medical Team of consultants and be expected to participate in the medical on call rota. The present chest physicians are enthusiastic and determined to build an excellent department. There is a substantial Respiratory Nurse Specialist Group, full Endoscopy services, Sleep Unit, and an expanding Lung Function Unit.
The Trust has a comprehensive programme of leadership mentoring available for newly qualified Consultants. Opportunities are also available to other Consultant appointees to play an active part in the programme.
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
ABOUT OUR HOSPITALS
Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- provides a full range of outpatient, inpatient, emergency, maternity and diagnostic services
- have a designated trauma centre
- provides a 24/7 heart attack service
- have the biggest renal dialysis service in the region
- We have a hyper acute stroke unit which has been established for over 5 years,
- is the only robotic urology surgery training organisation in the country
Organisation and provision of specialist respiratory services and the promotion of the highest quality respiratory care within East & North Hertfordshire NHS. The applicant will provide specialist respiratory input for acute respiratory admissions to ensure the highest quality care and optimum effectiveness. The applicant will also provide care to general medical patients and participate in the general medical on call. They will support the development of sub-specialist services according to their expertise.
The appointee will be responsible for the care of inpatients and outpatients in the Respiratory Department and will be expected to establish and maintain the highest clinical standards in managing these patients. Participation in the General Internal Medicine responsibilities of the Respiratory Team including the general medical on call Support of the units goal of delivering highly effective care approaches The teaching and training of undergraduate and postgraduate students and junior staff To participate in both department and Trust matters concerning clinical governance and audit. To have responsibility for ensuring active participation in CME throughout. To support development and delivery of sub-specialist respiratory services.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- College Membership (MRCP) or qualification of an equivalent level
- Advanced Life Support or demonstration of ability to achieve ALS immediately upon appointment
- College Fellowship
- Postgraduate academic degree
Fitness to Practice
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidence engagement with appraisal and revalidation
Clinical Expertise in Speciality/Subspeciality
- Broad range of experience in Respiratory and General Medicine in particular: o Experience in acute medicine emergencies
- Fully competent with Bronchoscopy
- Experience and expertise in managing critically ill patients within a medical ICU and HDU environment
- Ability to offer and be accountable for, full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Demonstrates an interest and commitment to the specialty
- A subspecialty interest in ILD.
- EBUS experience
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance and the identification of errors and the learning from errors.
- Able to show situational awareness and application of good decision making
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Experience in organising educational activities
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
- Ability to critically appraise published evidence
- Put our patients first
- Strive for excellence & continuous improvement
- Value everybody
- Open and honest
- Work as a team
- Experience and understanding of the equality, diversity, and inclusion agenda. Able to actively support the development of a culture that recognises and promotes equality, values diversity, and actively leads by example in deploying these qualities. Understands the impact on equality, diversity, and inclusion issues in all aspects of service delivery and planning
- Computer literacy and general IT skills
- Comprehensive knowledge and insight regarding all the domains within the GMC standards of 'Good Medical Practice'
- Understands and is able to demonstrate the values of the NHS Constitution
Introduction to East & North Herts NHS Trust
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our community has never been more important than it is now.
We are a forward-looking and progressive acute trust which operates across four sites; acute services are offered at the Lister Hospital; specialist cancer services at the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC); and non-acute services offered at Queen Elizabeth II and Hertford County hospital. As an organisation, we are continually striving to improve the high-quality care we provide and are on a journey of transformation. We have a turnover of £540m, employ 6,600 staff and provide services across East and North Hertfordshire and parts of South Bedfordshire to a population of nearly 650,000 people.
We are very proud of our successes: we have one of the lowest mortality rates in the country, ended each of 2019/20 and 2020/21 with a small financial surplus, have just recorded our lowest staff vacancy rate ever, hit our cancer waiting time targets throughout the past year and in October 2020 we won the regional NHS Parliamentary Award for our commitment to providing staff support.
Medical & Dental
If you are interested in further your medical career with us, we want to hear from you.
We are proud of the commitment to education, learning and development that we provide. Our 12-month consultant induction programme is something that we are particularly proud of and we run a variety of innovative and practical topics such as “being a new consultant – things I wish I’d known”, research and development and patient flow/site management.
If you are interested in furthering your medical career with us, regardless of where you are in your career, we would love to hear from you. Our medical resourcing team always do their best to ensure all of our doctors have a fantastic experience on their recruitment journey with us, from providing valuable information on the local area and arranging pre-interview meetings for you with the departments and executive colleagues.
We are proud of our relocation offer and we welcome applicants from overseas as well as within the UK.
Hear from Michael, our Medical Director, on what it’s like to work here.
Hear from Prithi about the support we offer to our international doctor arrivals.
- Lister Hospital
Coreys Mill Lane
- 01438 286 739
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert