Consultant in Medical Oncology with interest Breast & Acute Oncology
- East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year per annum
- Closing date
- 9 May 2023
- Hospital, Oncology
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Consultant in Medical Oncology with a special interest in breast malignancy and acute oncology, based at the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre and Hillingdon Hospital. This is a substantive post and comprises 10 programmed activities (PAs) and an on-call commitment.Mount Vernon is a well-respected cancer centre, providing care to over 5,000 new patients a year, based in Northwood, Middlesex. It is currently run by East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust (ENHT) and is in the process of merging with University College London Hospital (UCH), a leading tertiary cancer services provider. Mount Vernon will continue to provide high-quality care for cancer patients during the transition period, which is expected to complete by January 2023.The cancer centre will move to an established local acute hospital site, with access to intensive care facilities, whilst remaining a separate cancer centre. A networked satellite radiotherapy service will be developed to enhance the provision of cancer care to patients in the north of the area. We welcome applications from those who would relish the opportunity to be a part of the development of a new state of the art cancer centre. This post is available from the 1st September 2023, to provide site specific services to the local population and surrounding areas. Out-patient duties will be at both the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre and Hillingdon Hospital. SACT activity will be delivered from the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will specialize in the management of acute oncology and breast malignancies, joining a dynamic team of surgeons and oncologists with a significant national research reputation.At Mount Vernon, the post holder will be expected to work with members of the breast teams in planning and supervising the oncology treatment of patients.At the Hillingdon Hospital site the post holder will work closely with the breast and acute oncology multidisciplinary teams to provide a safe and high quality outpatient oncology service.
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation; our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.
ENHT is seeking to maintain and expand the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre staff as we move to an exciting new future.
We welcome applications from those who would relish the opportunity to be part of new and developing cancer service, building on the excellent reputation, research and patient experience the Cancer Centre already delivers.
In addition, you will receive a High Cost Area Supplement of 15% of your basic salary, subject to a minimum payment of 4,108 and a maximum payment of 5,177per annum pro rata.
- Maintenance of high quality patient centred care
- Shared responsibility for the day to day management of the service
- Teaching and training within the multidisciplinary service
- Active involvement in multidisciplinary team meetings and directorate clinical governance activity
- Active participation in continuing medical education.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- College Membership MRCP or qualification of an equivalent level
- College Fellowship
- Postgraduate academic degree
Clinical Expertise in Speciality/Subspeciality
- Broad range of experience in Medical Oncology.
- Ability to offer and be accountable for, full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Demonstrates an interest and commitment to the specialty
- Specialist interests in acute oncology and breast cancers
- NHS experience
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance and the identification of errors and the learning from errors.
- Able to show situational awareness and application of good decision making
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to teach clinical skills
- Experience in organising educational activities
- Participation in research
- Published papers and original work in peer reviewed journals
- Ability to critically appraise published evidence
Fitness to Practice
- Up to date and fit to practice safely and aware of own training needs
- Evidences engagement with appraisal and revalidation
- Demonstrate understanding of basic principles of audit, evidence based practice and clinical quality improvement initiatives
- Put our patients first
- Strive for excellence & continuous improvement
- Value everybody
- Open and honest
- Work as a team
- Computer literacy and general IT skills
- Comprehensive knowledge and insight with regard to all the domains within the GMC standards of 'Good Medical Practice'
- Understands and is able to demonstrate the values of the NHS Constitution
Introduction to East & North Herts NHS Trust
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our community has never been more important than it is now.
We are a forward-looking and progressive acute trust which operates across four sites; acute services are offered at the Lister Hospital; specialist cancer services at the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC); and non-acute services offered at Queen Elizabeth II and Hertford County hospital. As an organisation, we are continually striving to improve the high-quality care we provide and are on a journey of transformation. We have a turnover of £540m, employ 6,600 staff and provide services across East and North Hertfordshire and parts of South Bedfordshire to a population of nearly 650,000 people.
We are very proud of our successes: we have one of the lowest mortality rates in the country, ended each of 2019/20 and 2020/21 with a small financial surplus, have just recorded our lowest staff vacancy rate ever, hit our cancer waiting time targets throughout the past year and in October 2020 we won the regional NHS Parliamentary Award for our commitment to providing staff support.
Medical & Dental
If you are interested in further your medical career with us, we want to hear from you.
We are proud of the commitment to education, learning and development that we provide. Our 12-month consultant induction programme is something that we are particularly proud of and we run a variety of innovative and practical topics such as “being a new consultant – things I wish I’d known”, research and development and patient flow/site management.
If you are interested in furthering your medical career with us, regardless of where you are in your career, we would love to hear from you. Our medical resourcing team always do their best to ensure all of our doctors have a fantastic experience on their recruitment journey with us, from providing valuable information on the local area and arranging pre-interview meetings for you with the departments and executive colleagues.
We are proud of our relocation offer and we welcome applicants from overseas as well as within the UK.
Hear from Michael, our Medical Director, on what it’s like to work here.
Hear from Prithi about the support we offer to our international doctor arrivals.
- Lister Hospital
Coreys Mill Lane
- 01438 286 739
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert