2 x Consultant Anaesthetist
- Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year Per Annum
- Closing date
- 25 Apr 2023
- Hospital, Anaesthesia
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
We are looking for enthusiastic and committed Consultant Anaesthetists to join the team of Consultants in the Anaesthetic Department at Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust. Anaesthetics is part of the Directorate of Anaesthesia, Theatres and Critical Care. Both ICU units have received the rating of Outstanding by the Care Quality Commission.
These two posts are full-time posts comprising 10 Programmed Activities (PAs).
These are posts in general anaesthesia based at Wexham Park Hospital and Heatherwood Hospital with the opportunity to subspecialise in acute pain, Obstetrics, Orthopaedics & Trauma, Regional and colorectal anaesthesia dependent on individual interest and training. The posts have arisen due to retirements and service expansion.
Applications are to be completed online. Please note that CVs will not be accepted.
Main duties of the job
The ACSA-accredited anaesthetic department has 53 Consultant Anaesthetists, 7 Speciality Doctors and 32 doctors in training providing anaesthetic duties in 18 theatres, in addition to a number of areas outside the theatre complex, including obstetrics, interventional radiology, endoscopy and a cardiac catheterisation suite. The department also provides a cardio-pulmonary exercise testing service and a high risk pre-operative clinic.
Regional anaesthesia is actively encouraged and taught. Innovative techniques are constantly added to embed ambulatory surgery. The department is an ESRA-approved training centre for regional anaesthesia. There are usually 3 regional anaesthesia fellows at any one time. A block room service is being developed to provide safe and efficient regional block service where needed.
Frimley Park is also a high-volume regional vascular centre. There is a team of 17 vascular anaesthetists supporting daily elective and emergency vascular lists as well as vascular MDT meetings and CPX clinics. There is a state-of-the-art hybrid vascular theatre plus dedicated theatres within the interventional radiology suite supporting the vascular service
Wexham Park Hospital (WPH)
WPH, Slough, has 400 beds with a full range of services including a sub-regional plastic surgery unit. In the theatre complex there are 9 theatres and two obstetric theatres. The recently opened state-of-the-art Emergency Assessment Centre brings the emergency department, ambulatory care and surgical and medical assessment centres together under one roof.
Heatherwood Hospital (HWD)
Heatherwood Hospital in Ascot is our elective surgery site with 62 beds for orthopaedics, general surgery, urology, vascular, breast, plastic surgery and gynaecology. The new state of the art hospital opened for patient care and services in April 2022. It features six operating theatres, 48 inpatient beds and 22 day cubicles.The site is expected to treat 168,000 patients a year.
Please see attached job description
The successful applicants will be expected to take part in developing services within the Trust and to share the clinical, administrative and teaching work with the other
consultants in the department. Participation in clinical audit is a requirement and an ongoing activity in both Departments. Clinical research projects are encouraged.
These are full time 10 PA posts which include 1.5 PAs of SPA but any candidate who wishes to work less than full time will be considered and supported, taking into account service needs. Additional sessions may be available on request.
The post will be subject to the Terms and Conditions of the new Consultant Contract (2003). The non resident out of hours on call commitment involves covering CEPOD theatres, labour ward and other emergencies in the hospital. In addition to appraisal, the job plans of all consultants will be reviewed at least annually in conjunction with the Chief of Service and the Associate Director.
- Full GMC registration
- FRCA or equivalent
- Listed on GMC UK Specialist Register or within 6 months of gaining CCT in Anaesthesia at the date of the interview
- Experience of UK healthcare system and working in NHS
- Clear evidence of commitment to relevant subspecialty
- Trauma fellowship or experience working in trauma centre
- Regional anaesthesia fellowship and /or recognised regional anaesthesia post graduate qualification e.g. EDRA
- Advanced Obstetric training/ fellowship
- Other Fellowships relevant to post
- Able to evaluate own clinical practice
- Able to demonstrate innovative thinking
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organise and develop service provision
- Management: understanding the structures of NHS hospitals and willing to play a role in the Department and in the Hospital
- IT literate
- Experience in Management
- Experience in leadership role
- Previous experience in teaching and training.
- A wide grounding during training in all aspects of anaesthesia
- Willingness to be involved in teaching at under graduate and post graduate as necessary
- Understand principles and participated in audit activity
- Understand the principles of Clinical Governance and demonstrate experience of evidence based practice
- Evidence of management of complex medical comorbidities in the perioperative period
- A special interest in trauma care for high risk anaesthetic
- Special interest in regional anaesthesia with focus on education
- Provider status in ATLS,ALS, EPLS or APLS
- Quality improvement projects related to main components of this job
- Relevant research
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert