Locum Consultant in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year Pro Rota Per Annum
- Closing date
- 22 Apr 2023
- Hospital, Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Families and Integrated Community Care Division as a Consultant in Obstetrics & Gynaecology with Special interest in early pregnancy and ambulatory gynaecology. Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is an ambitious organisation serving a population of more than 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and with tertiary services across Lancashire and South Cumbria with a population of 1.7 million. Whatever you are looking for in your next career move, you will find it at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (BTH).
Main duties of the job
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidates with special interest in early pregnancy and ambulatory care to join a dynamic consultant team as the 10th members for a permeant post. The successful applicants will be expected to provide general obstetrics and gynaecology services, contributing to 60 hours of delivery suite presence, contributing flexibly to the needs of the department to address performance targets in gynaecology and obstetrics. We offer flexible working options with working from home where feasible.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is ideally situated just a forty five minute drive from Manchester. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents -it's not just a good place to work; it's a great place to live. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south.
We have a forward-thinking Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology committed to developing and improving services for the women of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre. There are currently 8 substantive consultants within the department, each with a special interest.
The Women's and Children's Unit is a new 13.3m extension to the existing Women's Unit to bring together women's and children's services. There is an Antenatal and Gynaecology Clinic, a dedicated Maternity Day Unit and Maternity Ultrasound Department, the Delivery Suite and Alongside Midwifery Led Unit.
There is an active Gynaecology Day Suite where Colposcopy and ambulatory gynaecology procedures are carried out. The unit deals with an average of 3000 deliveries per year. This building also houses a large level 2 neonatal unit. The gynaecology beds are integrated into the female surgical ward and there is an early pregnancy assessment unit.
- Knowledge and skill relevant to the management of patients.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and patients
- Ability to work efficiently and timeously
- Completion of Appropriate Advanced Training Skills Modules to support skills for the post (or equivalent experience) including (or equivalent experience)
- Labour ward management
- ATSM or equivalent experience in Acute gynaecology and early pregnancy Medical education Benign gynaecology-Hysteroscopy Vulval disease Colposcopy
- Ability to lead others, think strategically
- Effective Team Player
- Evidence of relevant Continuing Professional Development
- Evidence of satisfactory compliance with appraisal requirements
Teaching & Training
- Willingness to participate in teaching
- Teaching and evidence of participation in postgraduate teaching.
- Medical education ATSM
Research & Publications
- Evidence of publications of a high standard relating to specialty
- Evidence of ongoing research in specialty
- Evidence of interest and depth of experience in medical audit
Management and Administration
- Proven ability to lead a clinical team
- Commitment to effective departmental management and management of a multidisciplinary group
- Proven organisational skills
- Proven management experience Understanding of resource management and quality assurance.
- Evidence of management training
Personal and Interpersonal Skills
- A willingness to accept flexibility to meet the changing needs of the NHS in Scotland
- Effective communicator and negotiator
- Demonstrate effective leadership
- A willingness to develop special interests which conform to the needs of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals
- Ability to operate on a variety of different levels
- Open and non-confrontational
- Agreement to live within 15 miles of Trust or within 30 minutes by car.
- Car owner with full driving licence.
- Experience of supervision of other staff
- Understanding of principles of Clinical Governance.
- Full GMC Registration with a current Licence to Practice
- Member of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Relevant CCT or equivalent (equivalence must be confirmed by PMETB/GMC by date of AAC).
- Entry onto The GMC Specialist register or eligibility for entry within 6 months of the date of the AAC
- Higher Medical Degree
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert