Applications are warmly invited for a substantive Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist posts to join the multi-disciplinary Gynaecological Oncology Centre at Northampton General Hospital.
The successful applicant will join a growing Multi-Disciplinary Team including 2 full-time Gynaecological Oncologists, a Gynaecological Oncology Senior Fellow, along with a Nurse Consultant and a growing team of Cancer Nurse Specialists, whose aim is the provision of high-quality service with excellent outcomes and patient satisfaction, which has been praised on repeated visit by QA/QST.
As part of the team you will be supported in all aspects of the role, but you will also support, coach and impart your knowledge and experience to your team. The department has close teaching and training links to the East Midland Deanery and has a number of middle grade and junior trainees working within the team.
The department works closely with a range of internal departments including Oncology, Vascular Surgery and Colorectal surgery and has close links with tertiary centres including Kettering General Hospital and Milton Keynes Hospital.
A full range of general and specialist Gynaecology surgical services are provided in the Gynaecology Unit, together with a number of specialist services for the diagnosis, assessment, treatment and support of patients with gynaecological cancers, including robotic surgery.
Main duties of the job
The post attracts 10 programmed activities, with view to expansion to 12 programmed activities if desired. There is an internal development and support program available for newly appointed consultants to ensure individuals' professional developments are achieved. The location of the post provides many attractive places to live, excellent schools and easy access to the major cities.
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for further information about the main duties of the job.
NGH is one of the largest employers in the area and all of our divisions are committed to doing things better, with more efficiency as we update, modernise, and advance. We have also entered into a Group Model with neighbouring Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Being a large DGH with a proud history, we are big enough to get interesting cases, but small enough to care, coach and develop. With over 200 consultants, a similar number of trainees and approximately 60medical undergraduates throughout the year, NGH provides comprehensive care and extensive training opportunities.
With this in mind, we have built a state of the art emergency assessment unit (Nye Bevan building) and are developing new ways of working to streamline in-patient care and optimize working with our partners.
NGH also has a large library, gym with swimming pool, and a brand new entrance with Marks and Spencer, Subway and Costa on site.
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for further details about job descriptions and main responsibilities.
- Full GMC Registration
- Membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists or equivalent
- CCT accreditation or equivalent
- Gynaecological Oncology sub-specialist accreditation or equivalent.
- To be on the GMC Specialist Register or eligible to be included within 6 months
Skills & Abilities
- Competent in the management of gynaecological oncological disease
- Evidence of advanced laparoscopic surgical skills
- BSCCP or equivalent
- Competence in the education and training of Specialist Registrars/Senior House Officers and Nursing staff.
- Experience in aspects of Clinical Governancec
- Evidence of management training skills
- Colposcopy accreditation up to date
- Good communicator and organiser.
- Ability to co-operate with other specialists in a team to develop gynaecological services continually.
- Participation and organisation of educational programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Participation in research relevant to the speciality.