King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Site: PRUH & South Sites Consultant in Gastroenterology 90,526 - 121,295 p.a incl. of London Zone Allowance (pro rata) Full-time 10 PAs Permanent This is an exciting opportunity to join a well-established and effective team of Gastroenterologists at a time of expansion and service reconfiguration. We are a team of 7 Gastroenterology consultants, working with an experienced support network of specialist allied health professionals to provide a comprehensive Gastroenterology and Hepatology service to our local population. Additionally due to our close affiliation with King's College Hospital and GSTT, we have a strong working relationship with these hospitals. PRUH Gastroenterology is expanding to create a comprehensive IBD service replete with senior nursing and bespoke pharmacy and pathway co-ordinator support. Moreover, funding has been approved for construction of a state-of-the-art 6 room Endoscopy Unit on the PRUH site which will significantly expedite the diagnostic process for patients on Gastroenterology pathways. Main duties of the job
This is a 10 PA post of which around 8PAs will be Direct Clinical Care with the remainder being allocated to Supporting Professional Activity and other agreed additional activities. We currently partake in a 1:7 on call GI bleed service, with the expansion providing the resource to develop a 7-day working model, with weekday TOIL.
The department is undergoing expansion, hence these two posts, and provides the following PRUH based services, delivered by inpatient and outpatient services:
- Endoscopy (standard + TNE, EUS, ERCP)
- Upper GI cancer, supported by upper GI CNS team
- IBD including CNS team and pathway co-ordinator
- Hepatology /HPB
- General Gastroenterology
- Inpatient ward with Gastro focus
- Drug and alcohol liaison service
- Nutrition support team
- We have direct access to further services including Advanced Chronic Liver Disease clinic, oesophageal physiology, breath testing, fibroscan, pelvic floor clinic at either King's College Hospital (DH site) or GSTT
- Participation in regular M&Ms, clinical governance, undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and grand rounds.
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK's largest and busiest teaching Trusts with a turnover of c1 billion, 1.5 million patient contacts a year and more than 15,000 staff based across South East London. The Trust provides a full range of local and specialist services across its five sites. The trust-wide strategy of Strong Roots, Global Reachis our Vision to be BOLD, Brilliant people, Outstanding care, Leaders in Research, Innovation and Education, Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at the heart of everything we do. By being person-centred, digitally-enabled, and focused on sustainability, we aim to take Team King's to another level.
We are at a pivotal point in our history and we require individuals who are ready to join a highly professional team and make a real, lasting difference to our patients and our people.
King's is committed to delivering Sustainable Healthcare for All via our Green Plan. In line with national Greener NHS ambitions, we have set net zero carbon targets of 2040 for our NHS Carbon Footprint and 2045 for our NHS Carbon Footprint Plus. Everyone's contribution is required in order to meet the goals set out in our Green Plan and we encourage all staff to work responsibly, minimising their contributions to the Trust's carbon emissions, waste and pollution wherever possible.Job description Job responsibilities
The Trust is recognised internationally for its work in liver disease and transplantation, neurosciences, cardiac, haemato-oncology, fetal medicine, stroke, major trauma, and Emergency Department.
Kings is a key partner in one of London's foremost Academic Health Science Centres, King's Health Partners (KHP). KHP is one of only six Department of Health-designated AHSCs in England. It brings together a world-leading research-led university Kings College London and three successful NHS Foundation Trusts: Kings College Hospital, Guys and St Thomas, and South London and Maudsley.
The Gastroenterology department at PRUH is planning expansion to manage the increasing number of referrals and enable moving to a 7-day working model. Whilst all gastroenterologists will continue to cover general gastroenterology, we are keen to move to a sub-specialty model, providing applicants the potential to pursue individual areas of interest, including IBD, upper GI Cancer, Hepatology/HPB and Nutrition.
The appointed physician will join a department which has a strong history of service provision, integration with community and primary care, teaching and research. It has a variety of academic interests, teaches clinical medicine and offers Gastroenterological services to a broad, multicultural demographic. The successful candidate will be committed to service improvement and innovation, delivering high value care, person-centred multidisciplinary care and clinical and translational research. To this end, opportunities for the development of new and innovative services will be encouraged.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of our dedicated workforce and join one of the largest and most successful Foundation Trusts in the UK with an international reputation for innovation and the desire to make a difference.
You must be fully registered with the GMC and hold a Licence to Practice and be on the Specialist Register, or within six months of attaining your CCT or equivalent to be eligible for interview.The postholder will have regular contact with vulnerable adults and/or children (0-18 years), therefore this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975, and as such, it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registerable medical qualification.
- MRCPGastro or equivalent
- Other higher degree or diploma (e.g., MD).
Training and Experience Essential
- Within six months of the expected date of CCT (or equivalent) on the day of interview.
- Full registration with GMC and Name on Specialist Register on date of taking up appointment.
- Wide experience in all aspects of Gastroenterology, culminating in award of CCT or equivalent.
- Specialist training in Gastroenterology.
- Experience in sub-specialty area such as IBD, upper GI cancer, hepatology etc.
- Experience in day to day organisation of Gastroenterology services in a busy Teaching Hospital.
Management and Leadership Essential
- Familiar with current structure of Health Service and conversant with recent initiatives and changes.
- Able to demonstrate leadership capability within multi-disciplinary teams.
Audit & quality improvement Essential
- Management course and/or qualification.
- Thorough understanding of principles of medical audit and quality improvement.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to lead change.
- Experience of conducting or supporting clinical research.
- Relevant research experience in one or more aspects of Gastroenterolog/Hepatology
- Publication of relevant review articles or case reports.
- Experience of undergraduate and post-graduate teaching and exam preparation.
- Teaching skills course/qualification