The successful candidate will join the existing team in providing a comprehensive level of service to Airedale NHS Foundation Trust and its users.
The post will be based at Airedale General Hospital.
To support delivery of acute and general neurology inpatient and outpatient work in the Bradford, Airedale, Wharfedale, Craven and East Lancashire area.
You must be fully registered with the GMC and hold License to Practice and be on the Specialist Register, or within six months of attaining your CCT or equivalent at interview stage.
The neurology Consultants work closely with the neurology specialist nurses who are both community and hospital based.
The team work closely with the neurophysiology department and also with Leeds regional neurology centre, having regular MDT meetings.
With access to radiology, pathology, neurophysiology diagnostic testing, the team provide a truly comprehensive service to our inpatients and outpatients.
Main duties of the job
The main duties of the post will be:
to provide, in collaboration with his/her medical, scientific and technical colleagues, a timely, accurate, reliable, accessible and comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic service in neurology, with the opportunity to develop specialist clinical interests
to provide advice and support to clinical colleagues in primary and secondary care
to participate in multidisciplinary clinical care, attend multidisciplinary team meetings and practise according to agreed national and local treatment guidelines
to demonstrate enthusiasm, flexibility and co-operation in providing an integrated service with colleagues in Bradford Foundation Hospitals Teaching NHS Trust as part of the Act as One partnership
to provide cross cover for his/her Consultant colleague for routine duties during periods of annual and study leave
to share cross cover of routine duties for the Specialty Doctor's annual and study leave with his/her Consultant colleagues
to participate in the effective running of the Department, contributing to an equitable share of workload and facilities, the efficient and appropriate use of staff and resources and the development of the clinical and laboratory service in support of changing needs of clinical users and within the Trust
to provide continuing responsibility for patients under his/her care, with clear delegation of this responsibility during periods of leave
Airedale NHS Foundation Trust was authorised as a Foundation Trust in June 2010. It is an award winning Trust, with over 3000 colleagues and an income of over 200m. It has won the coveted CHKS Patient Safety Award and been in the top 40 hospitals for the last six years.
Airedale is a high performing Trust providing quality, personalised, acute, elective and specialist care services for local people in an area extending from the fringes of north Bradford to parts of the Yorkshire Dales National Park and in to East Lancashire. The Trust serves a population of over 200,000 from a widespread area covering 700 square miles within Yorkshire and Lancashire.
For full details of the advert please see the full job description and person specification attached.
- MRCP, FRCP or equivalent
- Full and specialist registration and a licence to Practise) with the General Medical Council (GMC) (or eligible for registration within six months of interview
- Holder of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or within six months of award of CCT or equivalent by date of interview
- Higher degree (PhD; MD) or Mphil
- Lecturing, small group teaching and one-to-one supervision
- Able to give honest and constructive feedback
- Create a supportive learning environment
- Encourages trainees to be curious
- Distance learning or other modern learning methods
- Experience of undertaking audits and presenting their findings
- Ability to critically review research
- Highly self-motivated, flexible, and able to organise time and workload in demanding NHS and academic environments
- An acknowledged expert for research in a particular aspect of healthcare education/clinical practice
- Post-MD/PhD research experience
- Experience within a research team
- portfolio of original articles in major peer reviewed journals
- Excellent knowledge base and clinical experience in acute medicine
- Relevant experience in organisation and undertaking clinical audit/appraisal
- Appreciation and understanding of the role of management in the modern NHS
- Excellent IT skills relevant to medicine
- Experience in or knowledge of the use of telehealth technology and anticipates changes in the political climate