Consultant in Acute Medicine
- East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year per annum
- Closing date
- 4 Apr 2023
- Hospital, Acute internal medicine
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
These posts are an important part of our ongoing development of acute medical services, offering the successful applicants the opportunity to work closely with the existing acute physicians to provide a high standard of acute care across the Trust. We will match your enthusiasm, commitment, and drive to work closely with colleagues with a structure that allows you to be part of a developing team to help lead the organisation to deliver excellent care for our patients.
The post comprises 10 programmed activities (PAs) including 1 PA weekend on-call commitment, which could be modified for a candidate preferring to work less than full time.
Main duties of the job
- Maintenance of high-quality patient centered care
- Shared responsibility for the day-to-day management of the service and participation in strategic planning
- Teaching and training within the multidisciplinary service
- Active involvement in multidisciplinary team meetings and directorate clinical governance activity
- Active participation in continuing medical education
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general and specialist services we provide and our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation and our staff and patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. This means that any employee is entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns and we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made and considered formally, and will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.
- Entry on GMC Specialist Register or, be within 6 months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview or, provide GMC confirmed eligibility for entry on the Specialist Register
- College Membership (MRCP) or qualification of an equivalent level
- Advanced Life Support or demonstration of ability to achieve ALS immediately upon appointment
- Evidence of being up to date and fit to practice safely, and aware of own training needs
- College Fellowship
- Postgraduate degree (or equivalent)
- Broad range of experience in Acute Medicine in particular: o Experience of Ambulatory Care o Fully competent in the management of the acute medical take o Fully competent in the management of inpatients and MDT working with emphasis
- Experience of supervising undergraduates, doctors in training and other colleagues
- Ability to offer and be accountable for full and independent expert diagnostic opinion
- Can evidence leading on patient safety issues and achieving a change in practice
- Demonstrable experience in a Locum Consultant role
- Able to evidence engagement with clinical governance and the identification of errors and the learning from errors.
- Evidence engagement with appraisal and revalidation
Introduction to East & North Herts NHS Trust
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust is a very special organisation. Our teams are amazing, and this has been demonstrated even more so during the unprecedented challenge brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our ability to be flexible and innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our community has never been more important than it is now.
We are a forward-looking and progressive acute trust which operates across four sites; acute services are offered at the Lister Hospital; specialist cancer services at the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC); and non-acute services offered at Queen Elizabeth II and Hertford County hospital. As an organisation, we are continually striving to improve the high-quality care we provide and are on a journey of transformation. We have a turnover of £540m, employ 6,600 staff and provide services across East and North Hertfordshire and parts of South Bedfordshire to a population of nearly 650,000 people.
We are very proud of our successes: we have one of the lowest mortality rates in the country, ended each of 2019/20 and 2020/21 with a small financial surplus, have just recorded our lowest staff vacancy rate ever, hit our cancer waiting time targets throughout the past year and in October 2020 we won the regional NHS Parliamentary Award for our commitment to providing staff support.
Medical & Dental
If you are interested in further your medical career with us, we want to hear from you.
We are proud of the commitment to education, learning and development that we provide. Our 12-month consultant induction programme is something that we are particularly proud of and we run a variety of innovative and practical topics such as “being a new consultant – things I wish I’d known”, research and development and patient flow/site management.
If you are interested in furthering your medical career with us, regardless of where you are in your career, we would love to hear from you. Our medical resourcing team always do their best to ensure all of our doctors have a fantastic experience on their recruitment journey with us, from providing valuable information on the local area and arranging pre-interview meetings for you with the departments and executive colleagues.
We are proud of our relocation offer and we welcome applicants from overseas as well as within the UK.
Hear from Michael, our Medical Director, on what it’s like to work here.
Hear from Prithi about the support we offer to our international doctor arrivals.
- Lister Hospital
Coreys Mill Lane
- 01438 286 739
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert