Specialty Doctor Urology
- Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
- Depending on experience £50,620 - £79,144
- Closing date
- 7 Feb 2023
- Hospital, Urology
- Career Level
- Specialty doctor
- Contract Type
- Fixed Contract
- Full Time
BCUHB is the largest health organisation in Wales, providing a full range of primary, community, mental health and acute hospital services for a population of around 676,000 people across the six counties of North Wales (Anglesey, Gwynedd, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham) as well as some parts of mid Wales, Cheshire and Shropshire. The aim of BCUHB is to provide the highest quality care for the population of North Wales. We aim to achieve this through three key values: Dignity, placing a high value on respecting the patient as an individual; Valuing Staff, valuing staff as individuals and developing their skills appropriately; Efficiency, pursuing efficiency and effectiveness in delivering services.
Main duties of the job
Specialty Doctor in Urology - SpR Level
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Specialty Doctor in Urology at Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board based at Glan Clwyd Hospital.
The post holder would be actively involved in the provision of urological services within a multi-disciplinary team. The post is also suitable for post core surgical trainee candidates looking to gain additional urology and research experience prior to applying for run-through specialist training. Active research and supervision for postgraduate degree would be encouraged for interested candidate.
Department of Urology at Glan Clwyd has a dedicated, purpose built Urology Diagnostic unit with 6 bedded ward, Endoscopy suite and clinic rooms.
The Department of Urology at Glan Clwyd Hospital provides a full range of urological services both on the main site and at peripheral hospitals. We aim to expand this department with a view to offer sub-speciality services and to maintain high standards of work.
The Department enjoys the services of an excellent radiology unit. Two of the radiologists working closely with the Urology team has an interest in interventional urology, helping with percutaneous access as well as providing cancer and ultrasound services in the unit. The department has up-to-date radiology imaging, including a MRI scanner in the unit. A renal dialysis unit is on site. The unit also enjoys the benefit of the North Wales Cancer Treatment Centre.
As part of the Health Board's strategic collaboration with Bangor University, individuals with an interest in teaching and research who can demonstrate and agree a possible contribution to the School can be considered and nominated for recognition through the University's process for granting honorary titles and help to deliver our shared vision for the North Wales School of Medicine and Health.
Inpatient Services - Provide elective and emergency inpatient services, along with other members of the department.
Outpatient Services - Provide an Outpatient service, along with other members of the department.
Emergency On-call and Cover for colleagues Provide out of hours cover via on call and cover during periods of leave, following a 1:5 non-resident on-call rota. There is a consultant support for the on call.
Education and Research The post holder is expected to engage in a research project and contribute to the academic life of the Department. Contribute to the teaching of junior medical staff, medical students and other Directorate staff.
Clinical Audit Participate actively in the Departments Clinical Audit Programme and Continuing Professional Development, which is fully supported by the Trust Board.
Administration Undertake all necessary administrative duties associated within the care of his/her patients.
- Full GMC registration
- MRCS or equivalent degree
- Recent ALS, ATLS, APLS certification
- Postgraduate degree - MSc or MD
- Minimum 3 years' experience in Surgery excluding foundation years with at least 12 months in Urology
- Equivalent experience and competencies
- Diagnostic Urological skills e.g. prostate biopsy and flexible cystoscopy
- Good communication skills
- Good team worker
- Flexible attitude
- Keeping up to date
- Willingness to train
- Enthusiastic to teach juniors and medical students
- Evidence of participation in Audit
- Research interest
- Publication in peer reviewed journal
- Regular attendance at departmental audit meetings
- Basic IT skills
- Experience of MS Windows and MS Office
BMJ Ref: BMJ-109310/050-SDUROLC-01-23
We provide a full range of primary, community, mental health and acute hospital services across 3 district hospitals, 22 community hospitals and a network of over 90 health centres, clinics, community health team bases and mental health units. BCUHB also coordinate the work of 113 GP practices and the NHS services provided by dentists, opticians and pharmacists across the region.
Our aim is to enable everyone who uses our services to do so through the medium of Welsh or English, according to personal choice and to encourage other users and providers to use and promote the Welsh language in the health sector.
- We will improve the health of the population, with particular focus upon the most vulnerable in our society
- We will do this by developing an integrated health service which provides excellent care delivered in partnership with the public and other statutory and third sector organisations
- We will develop our workforce so that it has the right skills and operates in a research-rich learning culture
- Put Patients first
- Work together
- Value and respect each other
- Learn and innovate
- Communicate openly and honestly
- To improve health and deliver excellent care
- Our strategic goals
- Improve health and wellbeing for all and reduce health inequalities
- Work in partnership to design and deliver more care closer to home
- Improve the safety and outcomes of care to match the NHS's best
- Respect individuals and maintain dignity and care
- Listen to and learn from the experiences of individuals
- Support, train and develop our staff to excel
- Use resources wisely, transforming services through innovation and research
Ysbyty Gwynedd, Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2PW
Telephone enquiries: 01248 384 384
Glan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl, Denbighshire, LL18 5UJ
Telephone enquiries: 01745 583 910
Wrexham Maelor Hospital, Croesnewydd Road, Wrexham, LL13 7TD
Telephone enquiries: 01978 291 100
- 01248 384 384
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert