LAS ST 3+ in Oral & Maxilliofacial
- Swansea Bay University Health Board
- Depending on experience £1,578.00 per week paid monthly
- Closing date
- 7 Feb 2023
- Hospital, Dentistry and oral medicine
- Career Level
- Specialty training (ST3)
- Contract Type
- Fixed Contract
- Full Time
Do you share our health board values; Caring for each other; working together; always improving? If so we would love for you to come and work for Swansea Bay University HB.
We are looking for ambitious and enthusiastic LAS ST3 plus to join the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department. The post is fixed term to start as soon as possible until 1st August 2023. The base site will be Morriston Hospital, Swansea with a requirement to attend outpatient clinics in our department across the HB as and when required. The successful candidate will join our current team of 6 consultants, 1 associate specialist, 1 specialty doctor and rotational trainees. The successful candidate will participate on the Full shift rota.
Main duties of the job
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is part of the head and neck department which includes cleft, orthodontics, ENT and restorative dentistry. You will get the opportunity to gain experience working alongside these specialties. We have a well-equipped and innovative maxillofacial laboratory that provides excellent technical surgical support and 3D customised planning for reconstruction.
The department undertakes all aspects of oral and maxillofacial work including oro-facial cancers with free microvascular reconstruction, disorders of the TMJ, orthognathic surgery for dentofacial deformities, maxillofacial injuries, dentoalveolar surgery and salivary gland disease.
The duties will include attending and reviewing patients in A&E, attending outpatient clinics, performing and assisting with minor oral surgery, attending and assisting with specialist oral and maxillofacial theatre cases and being part of a 1 in 6 second on call rota.
The successful candidate will be expected to take part in clinical governance activities, training and teaching.
Applicants should possess full registration with the United Kingdom General Dental Council (GDC) and /or United Kingdom General Medical Council (GMC)
Swansea Bay University Health Board has responsibility for the health of around 390,000 people in the Neath Port Talbot and Swansea areas, with a budget of around 1 billion and employing 12,500 people. We are a University Health Board working in partnership with Swansea University, Swansea School of Medicine, the School of Health Science and the Institute of Life Science. The HB has three major hospitals providing a range of services: Morriston and Singleton hospitals in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot hospital in Baglan, Port Talbot.
The Health Board is part of A Regional Collaboration for Health (ARCH), which is a partnership with Hywel Dda UHB and Swansea University. Aimed at improving the wellbeing and wealth of South West Wales.
Swansea is Wales' second-largest city, and sits on the five-mile sweep of Swansea Bay. An ideal base for exploring South-West Wales, there is also much on offer for visitors in Swansea itself. Swansea has a range of shops, cozy cafes, great restaurants, art galleries as well as being able to offer good outdoor lifestyle with its beautiful coastline and beaches on the Gower Peninsula. Swansea also has excellent sporting facilities including the Wales National pool and liberty stadium home to the Ospreys and Swansea City football club.
For more details in relation to this post please click on the supporting documents section to find the person specification.
- At least 12 months experience in Core Surgical Training, or equivalent by the start date of the post
- Full GDC registration or a fully UK registerable dental qualification by the start date of the post
- Be eligible for full registration with, and hold a current licence to practise from, the GMC by the start date of the post
- Have evidence of achievement of foundation competences from a UKFPO-affiliated foundation programme or equivalent, in line with GMC standards / Good Medical Practice; including:
- ATLS, ALERT CCRISP or equiv
- BA, MSc
- Successful completion of MRCS (Part A) by offer date within that specialty recruitment round
BMJ Ref: BMJ-108724/130-37784903-0123
Swansea Bay UHB covers a population of approximately 390,000 in the Swansea and Neath Port Talbot areas, with an annual budget of around £1bn. The health board employs approximately 12,500 staff.
It has three major hospitals providing a range of services: Morriston and Singleton in Swansea, and Neath Port Talbot Hospital in Port Talbot. We also have a community hospital and primary care resource centres providing clinical services outside the main hospitals.
Primary care independent contractors play an essential role in the care of our population and the health board commissions services from GPs, opticians, pharmacists and dentists across the area.
We have 49 GP practices in our health board area, 72 dental practices including orthodontists, 31 optometry practices and 92 community pharmacies. Mental health and learning disabilities services are provided both in hospital and community settings.
The Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery at Morriston Hospital forms part of the UK network of burns and plastic surgery units, covering Wales, and the south west of England. Morriston is one of two specialist cardiac surgery services in Wales.
Other specialist services provided by the health board included cleft lip and palate, renal, fertility and bariatric surgery. Forensic mental health services are provided to a wider community which extends across the whole of South Wales.
The health board has an excellent reputation for research and innovation, with excellent links with Swansea University.
Swansea Bay University Health Board
- Morriston Hospital - our largest site, hosting our Emergency Department and tertiary services. One of the largest in Wales
- Singleton Hospital hosts a range of acute services and maternity unit
- Neath Port Talbot Hospital provides a range of inpatient, outpatient and day case services
- We also provide a comprehensive Mental Health Service at Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend sites, along with Gorseinon Hospital for Assessment and Rehabilitation of Older People
- Learning Disabilities - Celebrating 100 years of Learning Disability Nursing
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert