This appointment replaces sessions that arise from changes within the department. The appointees will join seven existing consultants to provide a comprehensive Neurology service to the whole of Gloucestershire.
The post will be based at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. The appointee will take an active role in the running of the Neurology service with full participation in cross-county activities and planning.
Full time, part-term and job share applicants are all welcome; job content will be tailored to the individual's requirements with scope for flexibility to meet the individual's requirements
Main duties of the job
As a senior employee of the Trust the post-holder will work in close co-operation with, and support other clinical, medical professional and managerial colleagues in providing high quality healthcare to the Trust's patients.
Integral to the responsibilities of the post are the following requirements:-
- To ensure the provision of a first class clinical service
- To provide effective leadership to all staff engaged in the specialty
- To sustain and develop teaching and research wherever appropriate
- To undertake all work in accordance with the Trust's procedures and operating policies
- To conduct clinical practice in accordance with contractual requirements and within the parameters of the Trust's and Division's services plans
- To maintain the confidence of business plans and development strategies formulated for the specialty, the Medical Division or the Trust
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust (GHNHSFT) was formed in April 2002 and became a second wave Foundation Trust in July 2004. We are a large organisation providing acute services from Gloucestershire Royal Hospital in Gloucester and Cheltenham General Hospital. In collaboration with the other NHS Trust in Gloucestershire (Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust - GHCNHSFT - who provide physical health, mental health and learning disability services), we provide Oncology services across Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and parts of Powys and Worcestershire
Our workforce is almost 8,000 strong. Our caring and dedicated staff are recognised as providing outstanding patient-centred, high quality emergency, elective and specialist care across a range of clinical areas.
We are delighted you are interested in joining us as a Consultant in Neurology at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The attached Job Description contains all the information you need to apply for the post.
- Full GMC registration
- MBBS or equivalent
- Entry on the GMC Specialist Register via CCT (proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview) CESR
- MD or PhD, Additional degrees, diplomas or postgraduate thesis relevant to the specialty
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining UK CCST in Neurology Ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients
- Subspecialty expertise that complements those within the department Background experience in general medicine (MRCP)
Research and Publications
- Ability to appraise research critically and apply research outcomes to clinical and surgical problems
- Ability to supervise junior staff undertaking research projects
- Publications in peer- reviewed journals
- Evidence of participation in Audit and Clinical Governance Programmes
- Ability to manage and lead a Neurology firm
- IT skills including database management and word processing skills
- Attendance on a management courses
- Ability to teach clinical and operative skills
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical and surgical problems
- Training in teaching skills
- Certificate of education Involvement in undergraduate education
- Experience of teaching and clinical skills to undergraduates and postgraduates
- Ability to supervise postgraduate research
BMJ Ref: BMJ-108388/318-23-R10804