Consultant in Cardiology (ECHO)
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year
- Closing date
- 18 Feb 2023
- Hospital, Cardiology
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
We are looking for an individual to fill this replacement post within the Cardiology Department at the Leeds General Infirmary.
The echocardiography and valve service is led by Dr Dominik Schlosshan together with Dr Ananth Kidambi, Dr Kate Gatenby and Dr James ONeill. The purpose of this appointment is to continue core cardiology clinical activity following departure, and support further expansion and innovation within of the echocardiography, valve and general cardiology services.
Main duties of the job
The successful applicant should possess MRCP (or equivalent) and should be included on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of CCT at the time of interview, if currently within a training programme within the UK. In accordance with the consultant appointment regulations, all other categories of doctors must be on the Specialist Register.
Applicants should have established skills in Cardiology and its related specialties including echocardiography and heart valve disease. A strong commitment to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and a research interest is desirable.
Consideration will be given to applicants who wish to work full or part time and those wishing to job share.
If shortlisted, you will be required to give a 10-minute presentation on:
Future development of echocardiographic assessment of valve disease
Leeds Teaching Hospitals is one of the largest teaching hospital trusts in Europe, with access to leading clinical expertise and medical technology. We care for people from all over the country as well as the 780,000 residents of Leeds. The Trust has a budget of 1 billion. Our 15,000 staff ensures that every year we treat 1,500,000 people in our 2,000 beds or out-patient settings, comprising 100,000 day cases, 125,000 in-patients, 200,000 A&E visits and 1,050,000 out-patient appointments. We operate from 7 hospitals on 5 sites all linked by the same vision, philosophy and culture to be the best for specialist and integrated care.
Currently the Yorkshire Heart Centre is supported by 12 SpRs training in Cardiology, 8 CMT/IMTs, 1 GPVT, 1 FY2 and 4 FY1 trainees. There are often a number of Clinical Fellows in post in coronary intervention, devices and TAVI. The appointee will have appropriate junior doctor support.
Our vision is based on The Leeds Way, which is a clear statement of who we are and what we believe, founded on values of working that were put forward by our own staff. Our values are to be:
In relation to this post, Leeds Teaching Hospitals is appointing a full-time consultant Cardiologist with a specialist interest in Echocardiography and Heart Valve Disease with additional commitments to General Cardiology. This is a replacement post.
The post will be based at the Yorkshire Heart Centre (on the Leeds General Infirmary site). The appointee will be on the on-call rota (currently 1 in 16) for general cardiology based at the Leeds General Infirmary (LGI). This rota provides cross-site cover for St James University Hospital, Leeds (SJUH). There is a separate on call rota for coronary intervention. The appointee will also have inpatients beds on a 28 bed general cardiology ward shared on a rota with 16 consultants.
The purpose of this appointment is to continue core cardiology clinical activity following departure, and support further expansion and innovation within of the echocardiography, valve and General Cardiology services.
- CCT in Cardiology or equivalent qualification - YOU MUST STATE YOUR GMC REGISTRATION NUMBER ON YOUR APPLICATION FORM TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POST.
- MRCP (UK) or equivalent qualification.
- Eligible for full registration with the GMC at time of appointment and hold a current licence to practice.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
- Relevant higher degree.
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level of clinical experience and competence in cardiology to provide consultant level on-call.
- Specifically, must demonstrate higher training in Transthoracic Echocardiography (BSE certification or equivalent) and experience in Transoesophageal echocardiography (BSE certification or equivalent)
- Evidence of continuous career progression consistent with personal circumstances.
Training, Research & Teaching
- Should have completed a recognised training programme in cardiology.
- Should have completed a subspecialty training in Echocardiography and management of patients with heart valve disease.
- Evidence of the ability to carry out medical research.
- Experience in training undergraduate medical students and postgraduate doctors.
- Previous experience of supervising research by junior staff.
- Previous attendance on Appraisal Techniques and Small Group Teaching Workshops.
Audit, Management & Interpersonal Skills
- Experience of participation in regular clinical audit.
- Understanding of current issues in the NHS.
- *Well organised and skilled in good time management.
- *Effective interpersonal skills.
- *Demonstrate ability to relate to and work within a team.
- Attendance at recognised management course.
- *Hold full GMC Registration with a license to practice.
- *Entry on the GMC Specialist Register via:
- CCT (proposed CCT date must be within 6 months of interview) CESR (or) international applicants should comply with the GMC specialty registration process: https://www.gmc-uk.org/news/news-archive/brexitinformation-for-doctors
BMJ Ref: BMJ-108174/298-C9298-CON-778
Leeds Teaching Hospitals is one of the biggest NHS trusts in the country, offering a range of both general and specialist hospital services, with excellent clinical outcomes for patients. We have an international reputation for excellence in specialist care, research and academic training.
- 0113 2433144
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert