Resident Clinical Fellow – Neurology and Cardiology
- HCA Healthcare UK
- London (Greater)
- Competitive (dependent on skills & experience) + Benefits
- Closing date
- 14 Feb 2023
- Hospital, Cardiology, Neurology, RMO
- Career Level
- Clinical assistant, Fellow, Academic (other)
- Contract Type
- Fixed Contract
- Full Time, Part Time
Resident Clinical Fellow – Neurology and Cardiology
About the role
University College London (UCL) and the Wellington Hospital are recruiting for a Clinical Fellowship scheme which offers candidates an opportunity to study for a PhD in UCL’s Institute of Cardiovascular Science while working at the UK's largest private hospital providing specialist complex care. There are two Clinical Fellowships available, one with a solely cardiovascular focus and the second within a neurological theme.
Clinical Duties and Responsibilities
Clinically based at The Wellington Hospital in St John’s Wood London, part of HCA Healthcare UK, these Clinical Fellows will commence a programme to undertake a period of basic and/or clinical cardiovascular research at UCL prior to continuation of specialist training. This is a tremendous opportunity to jointly develop a research career while working between two prestigious organisations. Details of the Clinical Fellowships are outlined below.
One Clinical Fellowship will be available to cardiologists looking to undertake an exclusively cardiovascular PhD. They will have the opportunity to select a research project and a supervisor from across the range of disciplines in the UCL Institute of Cardiovascular Science (ICS) which includes dedicated research departments in Preclinical and Fundamental Science, Clinical Science, Children’s Cardiovascular Disease and Population Science and Experimental Medicine. The Institute also hosts the MRC Unit of Lifelong Health and Ageing and the Hatter Cardiovascular Institute. Working within the Cardiology Department at The Wellington Hospital, the clinical commitment is 120 hours per 4 weeks which will include a combination of weekdays, weekends, and bank holidays.
A second Clinical Fellowship will be awarded to a Neurologist who will undertake research at The Hatter Cardiovascular Institute. This Clinical Fellowship will be focused specifically on neuroprotection following ischaemic stroke, an exciting opportunity for a cross-discipline PhD. The Clinical Fellow will work within the Neuro Rehabilitation Department at The Wellington Hospital with a clinical commitment of 120 hours every 4 weeks, made up of a mix of 24-hour, 12-hour and 8-hour shifts, which will include a combination of weekdays, weekends, and bank holidays.
- We welcome all applicants who are medically qualified with the appropriate clinical experience, GMC registered and have MRCP. The scheme is open only to UK/EEA nationals due to funding restrictions. In addition, they must meet UCL’s entrance requirements for PhD registration. Those applicants who meet both standards will be invited to interview.
- Applicants can apply either via the UCL or HCA websites and should be aware that relevant data will be shared between the two organisations as part of the recruitment process.
- Material information relating to the study on the scheme is available at the bottom of the page. (typically added by UCL – info on the scheme)
Career Progression and Opportunities for development
Clinical Fellows will register for their higher degrees at UCL (part-time). Their salary will be funded by the Wellington Hospital and will also cover their annual higher degree registration fee and an annual allowance for consumables for a period of up to 3 years, within agreed limits.
By caring for our employees, we empower them to provide exceptional patient care. That is why we offer a host of benefits that reflect the invaluable contribution they make every day.
- 25 days holiday each year (excluding bank holidays)
- Health Benefits; Private healthcare, private GP and dental insurance for you and your family
- Protection: Critical illness cover and Life assurance for you and your spouse, personal accident insurance, travel insurance and will writing
- Private pension contribution and free pension advice
- Lifestyle: Cycle to work scheme, gymflex plus other discounts
- Annual pay review
Study and related enquiries should be made to Professor Derek Yellon, Director of the Hatter Cardiovascular Institute, UCL. email@example.com
Employment-related enquiries should be made to Dr Damian Sczudlo, Head of Resident Doctors, The Wellington Hospital: firstname.lastname@example.org )
Information on the UCL Institute of Cardiovascular Science can be found here.
HCA Healthcare Over 50 years of creating a healthier tomorrow.
Today HCA is the largest private healthcare provider in the world, and the largest provider of privately funded healthcare in the U.K. A world-class network of over 30 facilities in London, Manchester, Wilmslow, Glasgow and Prestatyn, with its latest venture opening in Birmingham in 2022. Uniquely we also partner with the NHS to provide care within large NHS teaching hospitals. No other U.K. provider can match our global scale, breadth and depth of knowledge and expertise. We treat 27 million people each year across our global network, and many of our hospitals are rated ‘Outstanding’ by the CQC. Covering virtually all aspects of medicine from prevention and diagnosis through to treatment and aftercare in both our Primary and Secondary Care Divisions. Cardiac and Cancer Care, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics, Rehabilitation, Urgent Care, GP and Health screening to Obstetrics, IVF and Maternity care, to name a few.
We can promise by joining the HCA family, you will learn from experts in every department, and your opportunities will be endless. You will be empowered to achieve more in your career and will be provided with outstanding rewards and development support to match the level of care we are famed for.
Telephone Number; 0207 759 3945
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert