Consultant Anaesthetist - interest in Ortho/Spinal/Ortho-plastic
- Swansea Bay University Health Board
- Morriston and Neath Port Talbot
- £86,063 to £111,732 a year per annum, pro rata
- Closing date
- 1 Feb 2023
- Hospital, Anaesthesia
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
We are looking for Consultant Anaesthetists with an interest in Orthopaedic/Spinal/Ortho-plastic surgery to join our established team. The posts are resulting from phased service developments, in particular the exciting development of the Neath Port Talbot site into a centre of excellence for orthopaedic and spinal surgery.
These new posts will be based at Morriston and Neath Port Talbot Hospitals to support the planned transition of the majority of elective orthopaedic and spinal services from Morriston to Neath Port Talbot and to support the Orthoplastic arm of the Major Trauma network. In addition, there will also be the opportunity for successful candidates to undertake a variety of other subspecialty elective work. The on-call commitment will be to the General rota at Morriston Hospital, but may, in the future, develop to include a proportion of out of hours cover for Neath Port Talbot Hospital. The frequency will be no more than 1:8.
Main duties of the job
You will provide elective general anaesthesia to the population of Swansea Bay University Health Board within the scope of the job plan as well as taking part in a general emergency on call rota, which is to be discussed with the appointee.
If you are a passionate, innovative and enthusiastic Anaesthetist striving for a fulfilling career and flexible work life balance, you could make it a reality in one of the most beautiful locations in the U.K.
We have over 70 Consultant Anaesthetists delivering excellent clinical care in a range of specialities including regional and tertiary services. The Department offers many varied opportunities to capture most career aspirations within Anaesthetics, including the EMRTS air ambulance service hosted by Swansea Bay, perioperative medicine, the Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastics and Cardiothoracic tertiary services. Research and Development and teaching are fundamental to the service a result of close working links with Swansea University Medical School, currently ranked 4th in the UK.
Should you be a new consultant we will support you to participate in the Consultant Development Programme and offer you a bespoke multi-professional senior leadership training opportunity.
Swansea Bay University Health Board is situated in one of Wales' areas of outstanding natural beauty. Offering stunning beaches and coastlines whilst the Brecon Beacons National Park is less than an hour away. Local communities are welcoming with many highly ranked independent schools and colleges within the locality. Rail and road links are excellent with all of our Swansea Bay Hospitals being situated along the M4 corridor.
For full details regarding the post and the department, please see attached Job Description and Person Specification.
- GMC Registered
- Licence to Practice
- Advanced Training Module in Regional Anaesthesia as part of CCT or equivalent experience and expertise in Regional anaesthesia
- Advanced Training Module in General Duties or equivalent experience and expertise in General Duties
- Advanced Training Module in Perioperative Medicine or equivalent experience and expertise in Perioperative Medicine
- Evidence of an ability to develop effective working relationships, on an individual and multi-disciplinary basis with all levels of staff
- Evidence of research in Anaesthesia
BMJ Ref: BMJ-107037/130-MSG9822S-A
Swansea Bay UHB covers a population of approximately 390,000 in the Swansea and Neath Port Talbot areas, with an annual budget of around £1bn. The health board employs approximately 12,500 staff.
It has three major hospitals providing a range of services: Morriston and Singleton in Swansea, and Neath Port Talbot Hospital in Port Talbot. We also have a community hospital and primary care resource centres providing clinical services outside the main hospitals.
Primary care independent contractors play an essential role in the care of our population and the health board commissions services from GPs, opticians, pharmacists and dentists across the area.
We have 49 GP practices in our health board area, 72 dental practices including orthodontists, 31 optometry practices and 92 community pharmacies. Mental health and learning disabilities services are provided both in hospital and community settings.
The Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery at Morriston Hospital forms part of the UK network of burns and plastic surgery units, covering Wales, and the south west of England. Morriston is one of two specialist cardiac surgery services in Wales.
Other specialist services provided by the health board included cleft lip and palate, renal, fertility and bariatric surgery. Forensic mental health services are provided to a wider community which extends across the whole of South Wales.
The health board has an excellent reputation for research and innovation, with excellent links with Swansea University.
Swansea Bay University Health Board
- Morriston Hospital - our largest site, hosting our Emergency Department and tertiary services. One of the largest in Wales
- Singleton Hospital hosts a range of acute services and maternity unit
- Neath Port Talbot Hospital provides a range of inpatient, outpatient and day case services
- We also provide a comprehensive Mental Health Service at Swansea, Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend sites, along with Gorseinon Hospital for Assessment and Rehabilitation of Older People
- Learning Disabilities - Celebrating 100 years of Learning Disability Nursing
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert