We are interested in hearing from passionate individuals with relevant experience (see person specification in JD) to join our committed ED team as a Specialty Doctor.
The post will be based at the Emergency Department of the Princess Royal University Hospital which is a Trauma Unit and Hyper-acute Stroke Centre (BR6 8ND).
There are 2 positions available currently. One full time post and another less than full time (0.4wte). This latter post is ideal for someone looking to combine ED work with academic, teaching or personal commitments.
Successful candidates will join a dynamic, multi-professional ED treating a wide spectrum of patients. This is a great opportunity to broaden your experience while working in a friendly and supportive environment.
The ED Consultant team provides clinical supervision and care delivery 16 hours per day, seven days a week. They also have varied special interests including trauma, frailty, disaster medicine, education, public health, global health and pre-hospital care.
Regular SPA time is also built into the rota to allow for Audit, QIP and personal learning/development.
Candidates interested in pursuing a CESR will be fully supported within the ED team, including access to relevant secondments such as Anaesthesia, Intensive Care, Acute Medicine and Paediatrics. We also have a great track record of supporting doctors into formal EM training at ST3 or ST4 level.
Successful candidates will be paid on the Specialty Doctor pay scale (MC75).
Main duties of the job
The primary duties of the post are to see new patients within the ED, and to be an on-site source of advice and help for more junior doctors in the ED.
This is a senior post and specialty doctors will be the doctor in charge of the department at night with a consultant on call from home after midnight
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK's largest and busiest teaching Trusts with a turnover of c1 billion, 1.5 million patient contacts a year and more than 15,000 staff based across South East London. The Trust provides a full range of local and specialist services across its five sites. The trust-wide strategy of Strong Roots, Global Reach is our Vision to be BOLD, Brilliant people, Outstanding care, Leaders in Research, Innovation and Education, Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at the heart of everything we do. By being person-centred, digitally-enabled, and focused on sustainability, we aim to take Team King's to another level.
We are at a pivotal point in our history and we require individuals who are ready to join a highly professional team and make a real, lasting difference to our patients and our people.
King's is committed to delivering Sustainable Healthcare for All via our Green Plan. In line with national Greener NHS ambitions, we have set net zero carbon targets of 2040 for our NHS Carbon Footprint and 2045 for our NHS Carbon Footprint Plus. Everyone's contribution is required in order to meet the goals set out in our Green Plan and we encourage all staff to work responsibly, minimising their contributions to the Trust's carbon emissions, waste and pollution wherever possible.
- The primary duties of the post are to see new patients within the ED, and to be an on-site source of advice and help for more junior doctors in the ED.
- This is a senior post and specialty doctors will be the doctor in charge of the department at night with a consultant on call from home after midnight.
- On duty 1 in 3 weekends.
- Applications from doctors who wish to work less than full time are welcomed.
Teaching and Audit
- As an academic centre who prides itself on teaching we have an exciting in-house ED training programme to supplement shop floor supervision, supporting each doctor to acquire the knowledge and skills required in emergency medicine. This includes lecture-room teaching, full immersion simulation sessions and the opportunity to attend relevant clinics and courses. Special focus is given towards the passing of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine examinations.
- There is regular non-clinical academic time built into the rota and job plan. This is 1PA per week (wte or pro-rata equivalent) taken as a whole day every 2 weeks.
- Study leave can usually be arranged, subject to notice, for educational activities relevant to emergency medicine. Relevant study-leave includes life-support courses, other emergency medicine courses, and preparation for exams.
- Funding is available for educational activities such as the courses outlined above, College of Emergency Medicine e-learning, and e-portfolio access.
- As a forward-thinking department, interested in reviewing outcomes and improving quality we encourage involvement in clinical audit
Continuing Professional Development
- The post holder will be expected to achieve a high level of familiarity with emergency management and to keep abreast of developments in the field of Emergency Medicine.
- The post holder will be supported and expected to fulfil the CPD requirements of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine
- There will be regular appraisals and mentoring with an engaged and motivated Emergency Medicine Consultant.
- The post-holder will be strongly encouraged to work towards post-graduate examinations (if not already held)
Certificate of Equivalent Specialist Registration (CESR)
- Post-holders who are interested in pursuing the CESR will be fully supported in doing so by the ED consultant body. Support, teaching and advice will be available to prepare for the FRCEM.
- Secondments in all the key specialties are available depending on the post-holders learning needs. This includes Anaesthetics, Critical Care, Acute Medicine and Paediatrics.
Kings Health Partners Academic Health Science Centre (AHSC)
Kings Health Partners is a pioneering collaboration between Kings College London, Guys and St Thomas, Kings College Hospital and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trusts.
This unique combination brings together one of the worlds leading research-led universities and three of Londons most successful NHS Foundation Trusts.
The driving purpose behind Kings Health Partners is to continually seek and bring about swifter and more effective improvements in health and well-being for patients and people everywhere, by combining the best of basic and translational research, clinical excellence and world-class teaching to deliver ground-breaking advances in physical and mental healthcare.
Kings Health Partners (KHP) is one of only five Academic Health Science Centres in the UK accredited by the Department of Health. This followed a selection process carried out by a panel of internationally renowned clinicians and researchers. Further information on KHP can be found on its website www.kingshealthpartners.org
PRINCESS ROYAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL, BROMLEY
Princess Royal University Hospital serves the borough of Bromley. In October 2013 it became part of Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
It is a busy district general hospital, accredited Trauma Unit and also Hyper-acute Stroke Unit.
As well as Emergency Medicine, the Princess Royal University Hospital provides in-patient services for Intensive Care & High Dependency Care, Coronary Care, Maternity & Gynaecology, Paediatrics & Neonatology, Surgery, Urology, ENT, Orthopaedics, Internal Medicine, Stroke Medicine, Mental Health and Oncology.
There are on-site education facilities and libraries. There is excellent audio-visual equipment both in the hospital education centre and the ED. A variety of teaching, including full immersion simulation is arranged on a regular basis. It is also used as a training centre for undergraduate medical training
THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT
In conjunction with the urgent care centre, the Emergency Department at the Princess Royal University Hospital sees 105,000 patients per year. The range of problems managed covers the breadth of emergency medicine with a large proportion of the workload being acute medical and general surgical emergencies. The proximity of both Brands Hatch race track and Canada Heights motocross circuit adds to the trauma workload.
A significant proportion of the local population are of older age which has led to the development of specialised frailty and silver trauma pathways. The ED has an excellent reputation for acute care management, training and junior doctor supervision.
Special areas of interest within the Emergency Department include Severe Sepsis Care, Hyper-Acute Stroke Management, ED ultrasound, Trauma, Frailty, Medical Education and Simulation training.
The Emergency Department CDU admits patients under ED for various clinical pathways including Trauma, toxicology, chest pain and other observational cases.
Emergency Medicine specific training is well catered for with protected time for teaching and local ED resources for education. We also have close links with an internationally recognised ED course centre, delivering MRCEM, Ultrasound and Radiology courses (www.bromleyemergency.com/)
Associate Specialists 2
Specialty Doctor/SCF 9
ACCS CT1 1
4 bay resuscitation area with full critical care monitoring for adults and children
Majors area - 25 cubicles
Paediatric Unit 7 cubicles
Sub-acute area 3 cubicles
Clinical Decision Unit (CDU) 9 beds + seating area
Co-located Urgent Care Centre
Dedicated Emergency Department x-ray facilities are adjacent to the department with CT scanning and on-site MRI easily available.
The Local Area
The hospital is based in a leafy suburban town of Orpington, a highly sought after location due to its close proximity to many well-regarded schools in addition to restaurants and local markets. It is minutes away from Bromley which has extensive retail and leisure facilities.
The hospital is also close to Bromley South and Orpington train stations, with fast, regular connections to central London (18 minutes).
The south coast, Eurostar International train station and Gatwick International airport are also within easy reach.
The post holder has a general duty of care for their own health, safety and wellbeing and that of work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management or clinical governance accountabilities associated with this post.
To observe the rules, policies, procedures and standards of Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust together with all relevant statutory and professional obligations.
To observe and maintain strict confidentiality of personal information relating to patients and staff.
To be responsible, with management support, for their own personal development and to actively contribute to the development of colleagues.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general scope of duties and is not intended to be definitive or restrictive. It is expected that some of the duties will change over time and this description will be subject to review in consultation with the post holder.
All employees must hold an 'nhs.net' email account which will be the Trust's formal route for email communication. You are therefore required to check this regularly and to deal with such communication promptly.
Infection Control Statement -
The post holder has an important responsibility for and contribution to make to infection control and must be familiar with the infection control and hygiene requirements of this role.
These requirements are set out in the National Code of Practice on Infection Control and in local policies and procedures which will be made clear during your induction and subsequent refresher training. These standards must be strictly complied with at all times.
- MBBS or equivalent, Full GMC registration
- 4 years post qualification work in acute/emergency
- UK EM experience, Practical Skills, Supervisor skills
- Teaching/training, interpersonal skills
- IR and organisational skills
BMJ Ref: BMJ-102657/213-PRUH-4906-A