London North West University (LNWH) Hospitals seeks dynamic, skilled individuals to join their Emergency Medicine Consultant team across our two Emergency Departments at Northwick Park and Ealing Hospitals.
Providing clinical leadership to the Emergency Departments (EDs) at both Ealing and Northwick Park sites, in co-operation with the Clinical Directors. The EDs are currently involved in many Quality Improvement activities and are looking for established or newly qualified consultants to be part of the team. (Dual qualification in paediatric medicine is desirable but not essential).
The Departments offer wide ranges of services to emergency patients. The new consultant will help run and develop these services and have joint responsibility for leading and developing initiatives to ensure improvement in performance of the clinical indicators.
To oversee and ensure the provision of high quality clinical services within the Emergency Department and to lead appropriate training and audit activity.
To collaborate in the development of Emergency services both in terms of the facilities available and new systems, processes and procedures.
Main duties of the job
To be responsible, with the Nursing Shift Leader, for efficient floor management including deployment of junior medical staff.
To collaborate with the Lead Clinician and the Senior Nurse Management Team in the development and implementation of medical policy for the running of the department.
Participation in the medical advisory and liaison work of the hospital Medical Staff Committee and to share the workload of the involvement in any other committees relating to the Emergency Department. For example, Clinical Governance, Safeguarding Adults, Transfusion, Major Incident etc.
Ensuring the use of the computer systems within the department by education and direction of junior doctors' activity.
To co-operate with the consultant team in the recruitment and appointment of junior medical staff in consultation with the Department of Human Resources and the ED Senior Nurse Management Team. He/she will also be expected when required to involve themselves with the recruitment and appointment of the registrar and, when necessary, of nurses in the department. He/she will help to organise and give guidance to the deployment of junior staff duties including allocation and supervision of clinical work where necessary.
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWH) cares for the people of Brent, Ealing, Harrow and beyond.
Our team of more than 8,200 clinical and support staff serve a diverse population of almost one million people.
We run major acute services at:
- Northwick Park Hospital: home to one of the busiest emergency departments (A&E) in the country. The hospital provides a full range of services including the country's top-rated hyper-acute stroke unit and one of only three hyper-acute rehabilitation units in the UK
- St Mark's Hospital: an internationally renowned specialist centre for bowel disease
- Ealing Hospital: a busy district general hospital providing a range of clinical services, as well as 24/7 emergency department and urgent care centre, and specialist care at Meadow House Hospice
- Central Middlesex Hospital: our planned care site, hosting a range of surgical and outpatient services and collocated with an urgent care centre.
We are a university teaching NHS trust, in recognition of the important role we play in training clinicians of the future and bringing the benefits of research to the public.
To view the main responsibility, please see the attached the Job Description and Person Specification
- Full GMC registration. FRCEM or equivalent
- Other higher professional
Knowledge and Expertise
- Current life support provider for ATLS, ALS and APLS or European equivalents.
- Current life support course, HMIMMS/MIMMS or European equivalents, ultrasound qualification
BMJ Ref: BMJ-102455/337-MS-1176-SS