Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist with Gynaecology interest with Resident on call - 10 Programmed Activities
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is looking to recruit an enthusiastic and committed individual to work as a Generalist Obstetrician & Gynaecologists withresident on call.
Applicants must hold full GMC registration and on Specialist register or within six months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview and have completed the appropriate RCOG Advance Training Special Skills Modules (ATSM) or equivalent.
CESR candidates must have written GMC confirmation of successful application.
An Enhanced DBS Certificate with the checking of Adults' & Childrens' Barred List is required.
Interview will take place on Tuesday, 21st February, 2023
Main duties of the job
The successful candidates will join a team of 14 other Consultants within the department currently providing General Obstetrics & Gynaecology services, Fetomaternal Medicine, Urogynaecology, Menstrual disorders, Menopause, Sub fertility, Outpatient hysteroscopy and Gynaecological Oncology.
The unit has achieved NPSLA (CNST) 3 status accreditation. The unit is supported by 7 SAS Doctors, 5 Specialty trainees 3+ and 8 x (STr 1&2, GPSTrs + 2 F2). The unit delivers approximately 4000 babies a year in a well appointed labour ward with 2 dedicated operating theatres. The Obstetric unit is supported by a level 2 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with a Special Care Baby Unit of 15 cots.
The Trust has excellent management, robust systems and innovative processes.
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is the only acute Trust in Cheshire and Merseyside, and one of the few in the entire country, to achieve the title of OUTSTANDING, rated by the Care Quality Commission.
We provide a full range of acute adult services to our local population of circa 360,000 and provide tertiary services across a much wider area in the North West, North Wales and Isle of Man. We are a Major Trauma Unit and the Mersey Regional Burns Unit.
Our '5 Star Patient Care' strategy is at the heart of all that we do; supporting our vision to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time.
Our latest achievements include:
- Acute Trust of the Year - HSJ Awards November 2019
- Trust rates Outstanding by the CQC - Inspection August 2018
- Top 100 places to work in the NHS (NHS Employers and Health Service Journal)
- Best acute Trust in the North West for quality of care (NHS Staff Survey 2021)
- Best place to work in the North West (NHS Staff Survey 2021)
In the NHS Staff Survey 2021 the Trust scored the highest marks in the North West for the following areas:
- Standard of care
- Best place to work
- Care of patients being the Trust's priority
- Staff engagement
- Staff morale
- Compassionate and inclusive
- Providing a safe environment for staff
For more information regarding the main responsibilities and requirements essential for this role please refer to the supporting documents heading and review the job description and person specification which will outline the duties of the role including a proposed job plan.
St Helens & Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
A 338 million (PFI) investment has re-built and modernised both Whiston and St Helens Hospitals, resulting in modern state of the art health care facilities for the treatment and care of patients. St Helens Hospital was completed in 2008 and Whiston Hospital in 2010. The hospitals include 887 inpatient beds with state-of-the-art CT and MRI facilities existing on both hospital sites. CT and MRI scanners at St Helens have also recently been upgraded including installation of a high field 3 Tesla MRI scanner. The DEXA scanner is also located at St Helens Hospital.
The Trust provides a full range of acute inpatient, outpatient, day case and emergency services to local communities of St Helens, Knowsley, parts of Halton and Liverpool. The Regional Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit also extends its services to the whole of Cheshire, Merseyside, North Wales, and the Isle of Man.As a Trust, our aim is to provide a high-quality service to all patients. We strive to meet the best standards for professional care whilst being sensitive and responsive to the needs of individual patients. Our valued workforce is recognised for their unique skills and talents with our teams of experts winning national awards on a regular basis.
Whiston Hospital a busy teaching hospital which provides a comprehensive range of acute Medical and Surgical Services, Emergency Services, Maternity Services, Paediatrics and Medicine for Older People. The Regional Burns and Plastic Surgery Units are also based on this site. There is a Critical Care Unit consisting of ICU, HDU, CCU and an onsite Cardiac Catheter Laboratory. The stroke consultants deliver 24/7 thrombolysis to eligible patients presenting with acute stroke. There is a 30-bed Stroke Unit which accommodates both acute stroke patients and those with rehabilitation needs.
St Helens Hospital
St Helens Hospital is an Ambulatory Care Centre providing Intermediate Care and Day Surgery. Rheumatology, Dermatology and Diabetes services are based on this site and within easy reach of other acute specialties at Whiston Hospital.
Life in Merseyside
Merseyside, which includes the great city of Liverpool, is within easy reach of North Wales, the Lake District and the Peak District and provides an interesting mix of rural and urban life.
Liverpool is a vibrant, music city which has undergone a renaissance in recent years and has recently been named European City of Culture.
High quality schools are available in Liverpool, Wirral and Rainhill areas. The area has many sports facilities including championship golf courses, several sailing clubs and one of the finest windsurfing venues in Britain. Merseysiders are renowned for their friendliness and quick-witted humour and the region sports two of the finest football teams in the Premier League.
The town of St Helens is renowned for its glassworks and rugby. The district has a population of around 340,000 and is of mixed residential, industrial, and rural character. It is situated on the edge of Merseyside, between the open countryside of Cheshire to the south and Lancashire to the north.
Manchester City Centre is a short 23 miles from Whiston Hospital; accesses to motorway networks are a short 5-minute drive (including M62 and M6).
Both Whiston and St Helens Hospitals are within easy reach of the City of Liverpool (20 minutes by car), and access to motorway networks (including M62, M6, M57 and M58) is also convenient.
- Full GMC registration and on Specialist Register or within six months of receipt of Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) at time of interview CESR candidates must have written GMC confirmation of successful application
- MB ChB or equivalent medical qualification
- MRCOG or equivalent specialist
Knowledge & Experience
- Evidence of achievement of competencies by time of appointment in line with GMC standards/Good Medical Practice including:
- Good clinical care oMaintaining good medical practice
- Good relationships and communication with patients
- Good working relationships with colleagues
- Good teaching and training
- Professional behaviour and probity
- Delivery of good acute clinical care
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: Appropriate knowledge base and ability to apply sound clinical judgement to problems
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: Demonstrates the necessary range, depth and breadth of competencies specified in the General Obstetrics & Gynaecology curriculum and applying to this post
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: RCOG ATSM or equivalent and demonstrable experience including that relating to a special interest to complement existing colleagues e.g. Advanced Labour ward practice ATSM and Benign Abdominal surgery ATSM or Subfertility and Reproductive health ATSM or Urogynaecology and Vaginal surgery ATSM ATSM or Acute gynaecology and early pregnancy ATSM.
- Clinical Knowledge & Expertise: Demonstrable experience to manage a Labour Ward independently Knowledge and experience to participate on the Consultant on call rota
- Special interest accreditation in e.g. Menopause ATSM or Medical education ATSM
- Language Skills - Demonstrate skills in written and spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communication about medical topics with patients and colleagues
- Research Skills: Demonstrates ability to undertake robust audit / research within team structure within the last 3 years
- Teaching: Evidence of appropriate teaching experience within the last 3 years
- Communication Skills: Demonstrates clarity in written/spoken communication & capacity to adapt language as appropriate to the situation.
- Communication Skills: Able to build rapport, listen, persuade & negotiate
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: Capacity to use logical/lateral thinking to solve problems/make decisions
- Managing Others & Team Involvement: Capacity to work effectively with others.
- Managing Others & Team Involvement: Able to work in multi-professional teams
- Managing Others & Team Involvement: Able to supervise junior medical staff
- Empathy & Sensitivity: Capacity to take in others' perspectives and treat others with understanding
- Empathy & Sensitivity: Sees patients as people
- Organisation & Planning: Capacity to manage/prioritise time and information effectively.
- Organisation & Planning: Capacity to prioritise own workload.
- Organisation & Planning: Basic IT skills
- Vigilance & Situational Awareness: Capacity to monitor developing situations and anticipate issues
- Coping with Pressure: Capacity to operate under pressure. Demonstrates initiative & resilience to cope with changing circumstances
- Evidence of relevant academic achievements, e.g. degrees, awards, in the last 5 years.
- Evidence of relevant research e.g. presentations, publications in peer reviewed journals within the last 5 years
- Fitness to Practice:- Is up to date and fit to practise safely
- Professional Integrity: Capacity to take responsibility for own actions
- Career Progression - Ability to provide complete details of employment history