Applications are invited for the post of Consultant Geriatrician (with an interest on Parkinson's Disease) on behalf of the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust, Cornwall.
Cornwall Older People's Services and Frailty Pathway are in the process of rapid transformation with significant investment. Applications are invited from enthusiastic and dynamic individuals who are interested in assisting with the expansion of the Older People's Services, Parkinson's Disease Service and Frailty in Cornwall. Inpatient care for people with Parkinson's Disease is provided by the Eldercare consultants supported by 2 Acute PD specialist nursesand a Specialist Pharmacist. Outpatient care is based in community hospitals clinics and supported by a Countywide MDT (Nurse Consultant, x 4 Community PD Nurse Specialists, Specialist Physiotherapist and MDT, funded by Cornwall Foundation Trust). The whole countywide team meet regularly to discuss clinical and service issues. There are strong links with the Research and Development team and a number of ongoing studies in PD. The team are actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. Tertiary care is mainly provided by North Bristol NHS Trust with whom we have close links. There are 2 active local branches of Parkinson's UK who provide considerable support to local patients who we have strong working relationships with.
Main duties of the job
We would be able to offer candidates roles in general geriatrics with an interest in orthogeriatrics, dementia, Parkinson's / movement disorders, community geriatrics, stroke, or a mixture of all; with the prospect of developing their particular areas of interest further through innovation and service improvement i.e. surgical liaison. We welcome applications from existing and newly trained Consultants with options for flexible working. For new consultants the job plan will include 2.5 SPAs for the first year.
An additional PA is available if the successful candidate would like to participate in a research project
The Eldercare team is dedicated to providing a first-class service where the patient and relatives come first. The Eldercare team take a proactive approach to teaching and innovation as well as collaboration with partners in the community and primary care - your chance to take a lead in forging pioneering new approaches in care of older people. The posts are already supported by a large, friendly, progressive Older People's Service who is forward thinking, passionate and caring. The consultant team work alongside our exceptional team of nurses, allied health professionals, community partners and old age psychiatrists to deliver the very best multi-disciplinary care to our community.
Applications are welcomed from those unable to work full time or those wishing to job-share.
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust is the biggest provider of healthcare services in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Our three main sites are Royal Cornwall Hospital Truro, St Michael's Hospital Hayle and West Cornwall Hospital Penzance, our staff and services are available across the region.
The Trust employs 5,000+ staff, has a budget of around 380 million and 750 beds
We work with health and social care organisations including NHS Kernow and NHS England to ensure local healthcare needs are met. We provide acute medical, surgical and specialist services to around 500,000 which can increase significantly during busy holiday periods.
The Trust has teaching hospitals status as part of the University of Exeter Medical School. Keeping at the forefront of medical advances, we continually developing clinical services and are committed to maximising the range of specialist care offered locally.
We can offer you a rewarding career in a supportive working environment. We have extensive educational links to help you realise your full potential and develop skills to provide outstanding healthcare to the local community.
Enjoy an outstanding quality of life in a place that offers surfing beaches and fishing harbours to beautiful countryside and historic towns. With clean air, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and excellent schools, colleges and universities (including adult education) it is the ideal place for families and for you to develop your own career
PLEASE NOTE: To view the full Job Description and Person Specification, please click view the supporting information.
We are offering you not just the opportunity to work with us but also the benefits of working in the beautiful county of Cornwall for you and your family:
- The surrounding countryside is renowned for its spectacular rural and coastal scenery. Cornwall offers an outstanding quality of life and many opportunities for outdoor pursuits, with its sailing waters, surfing beaches and rugged coastal country routes for walking and cycling and equestrian activities.
- Cornwall is a food haven with an unprecedented growth in high quality restaurants and family orientated leisure facilities.
- The pace of life is gentle and community spirit is abundant with many villages having their own identity and take pride in caring for their surroundings.
- Schools are of high quality often comprising of small class sizes where children thrive.
Do you have a partner and family who would relocate with you? If so, then please contact us as we have a variety of employment opportunities within the hospital and would be happy to discuss this with you.
To be an employee of the NHS you need to successfully complete the following:
- Identity Checks
- Professional registration and qualification checks
- Employment history and reference checks
- Work health assessments
- Criminal record check standards
- Right to work checks
For further information please visit:
- GMC Registration with a Licence to Practice. GMC Specialist Register or within six months of obtaining CCT (or equivalent) at time of interview.
- Teaching (Medical students, peers, MDT). Experienced in Clinical Audit and Clinical Governance and the benefits of how this improves the quality of care provided to patients and ensuring this is embedded in clinical practice.
Practical and Intellectual Skills
- Strong clinical and personal credibility, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible in approach and able to adapt
- Current and valid visa to allow work in the UK