Locum Consultant in Acute Medicine
- United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- £88,364 to £119,133 a year Per annum
- Closing date
- 17 Dec 2022
- Hospital, General internal medicine
- Career Level
- Contract Type
- Full Time
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust as a Consultant in Acute Medicine. This position will be based at Lincoln County Hospital which has a complement of 557 beds.
We are seeking to appoint a Consultant Physicians in Acute Medicine to join our supportive, friendly and forward thinking team making a total of 19 Acute Medicine consultants across 3 acute care hospitals. These posts support the expansion of the Acute Medicine Department in line with the Trust strategy to provide outstanding care, personally delivered in the urgent care stream. The successful candidates will be part of a dynamic and diverse team, based in one of our three acute hospitals and collaborating to implement best practice and achieve the best possible outcomes for our patients and the best possible work experience for our teams.
Successful candidate must be currently working at a Consultant level in Acute medicine.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be responsible for the provision of treatment of medical patients admitted to the MEAU and for referring such patients to specialist colleagues as required. The appointee will have continuing responsibility for the care of patients in their charge and for the proper functioning of the department. When the site is facing pressures, the MEAU consultant will also review medical patients still in ED awaiting transfer to MEAU. Out-of-hours, the medical responsibility of patients on MEAU is the responsibility of the on-call Physician. A team working approach is required, both with medical and nursing colleagues. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be expected to have a key role in shaping the service locally, to collaborate with stakeholders and to provide leadership on the shop floor.
We appreciate our staff and reward them with an outstanding benefits package including a fantastic benefits package with competitive pay rates with annual increases, annual leave of 27 days increasing to 29 days after 5 years and 33 after 10 years, access to the NHS Pension Scheme to which you and the Trust contribute. Alongside this there are extensive training development opportunities. We promote a healthy work life balance, provide an Occupational Health Service to support you at work and have a number of NHS discounts available either directly through ourselves or online through NHS Discounts.
What is required of the successful candidate:
- Provide strong local clinical leadership in the shop floor by collaborating, supporting, and delegating appropriately to all members of the MDT. This is of paramount importance in order to achieve the Trust vision of outstanding care, personally delivered.
- Undertake such other duties as may be identified to meet the needs of the service;
- Take part in the Consultant on-call rota at Lincoln County Hospital or Pilgrim Hospital, Boston for emergency duties and provide, on a reciprocal basis, emergency cover for colleagues during periods of absence;
- On-call duties include timely Senior Review of new admissions;
- Carry out teaching duties as required and take an active part in the Postgraduate Medical Education programme and in the teaching and assessment of junior medical staff and be involved in the education of nursing staff, General Practitioners and other clinical professions;
- Attend department team meetings;
- Have continuing responsibility for patients in their care and for the proper functioning of the department;
- Take part in team, department, regional and national audits;
- Be involved in research where appropriate;
- Participate in the management of the Acute Medicine Service;
- Continue their professional development to support annual appraisal and 5 yearly revalidation
- Applicants must be on the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of their CCT, however non-UK applicants wishing to apply for specialist registration could be considered on a fixed term basis. The trust will fully support overseas candidates looking to attain CESR in the UK.
- Certificate of completion of specialist training (CCT) or equivalent in General Internal Medicine (or entry expected within six months of interview date)
- Current valid GMC Registration
- MRCP or equivalent
- Advanced Life Support certificate
- Higher research qualification
- Do you have clinical experience in Acute Medicine
- Do you have the ability to take full and independent responsibility for clinical care of patients and the management of acute medical emergencies
- Evidence of understanding of the role of clinical management
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload effectively
- Ability to plan strategically and to exercise sound judgment when faced with conflicting pressures
- Ability to motivate and develop the multi-disciplinary team, balancing departmental and personal objectives
- Leadership and Management training or qualification
- Evidence of leadership in the development of clinical services
- Evidence of developing a high quality, high performance service
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert