The post is for a Locum Consultant in Burns and Plastic Surgery with a General PlasticSurgery and Skin Cancer Surgery interest. This is an exciting opportunity for a highlymotivated surgeon to join a dynamic, rapidly expanding team delivering multidisciplinary carewithin the Mersey Regional Burns and Plastic Surgery unit based at St Helens & KnowsleyTeaching Hospitals.
Applicants are required to hold Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (UK orequivalent qualifications), to be fully registered with the General Medical Council. In addition applicants should have completed at least 4 years full time postgraduate training (or itsequivalent gained on a part time basis or flexible basis) at least 2 of which will be in a specialtytraining programme in burns and plastic surgery at registrar level.
Main duties of the job
This job plan is a basic 10 PA job plan with an additional 0.25 PA for on-call, the PA's include amonthly Consultant meeting and travel time; travel expenses will also be paid. SPA time for fulltime Locum Consultants per week is 1 SPA for professional revalidation, personal appraisal,personal job planning and mandatory training. SPA activity must be relevant to the Trust andIndividual's needs.
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is the only acute Trust in Cheshire and Merseyside, and one of the few in the entire country, to achieve the title of OUTSTANDING, rated by the Care Quality Commission.
We provide a full range of acute adult services to our local population of circa 360,000 and provide tertiary services across a much wider area in the North West, North Wales and Isle of Man. We are a Major Trauma Unit and the Mersey Regional Burns Unit.
Our '5 Star Patient Care' strategy is at the heart of all that we do; supporting our vision to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time.
The service delivered by the burns and plastic surgery team is of high volume and high complexity; they manage a varied mix of cases referred to them from both regionally and nationally and have excellent outcomes as identified during the last GIRFT report.
Our vision is to provide world class services for all our patients by getting it right for every patient, every time. To support us in this ambition, we enjoy close links with our leading universities, including the University of Liverpool, John Moores University and Edge Hill University, and we have specific strengths in education and training. To complement this, we also have strong research portfolios and host a number of professional units in medicine and surgery. We believe that staff engagement is an absolute priority and our strong leadership and development programmes, demonstrate how much we value our staff.
- Applicants should be fully registered with the GMC.
- MBBS or equivalent medical qualification.
- MRCS (UK) or equivalent.
- FRCS (Plast) or equivalent.
- Valid Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Provider Status.
- Evidence of skin cancer interest, skin cancer fellowship and experience.
- Is up to date and fit to practise safely
- Demonstrates the necessary range, depth and breadth of competencies suitable for a post with a skin cancer & general plastic surgery interest.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of skin cancer surgery.
- Evidence the number of independent SNLB's, groin, axilla and neck dissections performed.
- Appropriate knowledge base and ability to apply sound clinical judgement to problems.
- Demonstrates ability to undertake robust audit / research within team structure within the last 3 years.
- Evidence of appropriate teaching experience within the last 3 years.
- Demonstrates clarity in written/spoken communication & capacity to adapt language as appropriate to the situation.
- Capacity to use logical/lateral thinking to solve problems/make decisions.
- Capacity to work effectively with others.
- Capacity to take in others' perspectives and treat others with understanding.
- Capacity to manage/prioritise time and information effectively.
- Capacity to monitor developing situations and anticipate issues.
- Capacity to operate under pressure. Demonstrates initiative & resilience to cope with changing circumstances.
- Evidence of relevant research e.g. presentations, publications in peer reviewed journals within the last 3 years relevant to plastic surgery and skin cancer.
- Evidence of relevant academic achievements, e.g. degrees, awards, in the last 3 years.
BMJ Ref: BMJ-101661/409-4712872