Applications are invited for Consultant posts in Gastroenterology with specialist interest in Hepatology/Nutrition or ERCP based at Wrexham Maelor Hospital. The post has arisen due to increased demand for Gastroenterology and Hepatology services. Successful applicants will join a team that consists of 4 Gastroenterologists, each of whom has a major subspecialty interest, with a further expansion and plans to advertise for an additional 2 posts. A wide experience of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and General Medicine is required. With the appointment of this post the department will have a total of 5 Gastroenterologists (plans to expand to 7), 2 Gastroenterology Specialist Registrars, and 4-6 junior doctors. There are 5 specialist nurses, 2 in Hepatology, 2 IBD Nurses/Nurse Endoscopists, and 1 Anaemia Nurse/Nurse Endoscopist/Endoscopy Trainer. The department receives additional support from site-specific Cancer Clinical Nurse specialists and 2 Clinical Nurse Specialist Nutrition. The Endoscopy Unit is a center for Bowel Cancer Screening. Wrexham Maelor Hospital is the upper GI cancer centre for North Wales.
Main duties of the job
1) To provide a General Gastroenterology service to outpatients and inpatients of Wrexham Maelor Hospital, sub-specialty interests that complement and support the current service will be encouraged ERCP expertise is highly desirable. The hospital is the Upper GI Cancer Centre for North Wales. There has been growth in this area with referral of complex cases. There is an integrated service with the surgical teams, supported by specialist nurses. There are multidisciplinary teams for Upper and Lower Gastrointestinal Cancer, and the appointee would participate in these.
2) Outpatient clinic templates are mixture of New and Follow up patients with 30 minutes allocated to a new referral and 15 minutes for a follow-up appointment.
3) Participate in departmental meetings, audit and clinical governance activity (including appraisal and revalidation).
4) To participate in training for CMT trainees. There is a weekly teaching session to cover the College GIM curriculum, and small group teaching for the Membership is arranged as required. The Gastroenterology Registrar is from the All Wales Gastro training programme and is shared by the consultants.
5) Participate in Royal College of Physicians Continuing Professional Development scheme. The Trust funds recognised study leave, and is supportive towards external commitments to the Royal Colleges.
If you relish a challenge, have a passion to help others or simply fancy a fresh start, then Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) North Wales, has all the right ingredients. The largest health organisation in Wales, providing a full range of primary, community, mental health, acute and elective hospital services for a population of around 700,000, across North Wales . Join our team and get the support you need, in line with our Organisational Values and 'Proud to Lead' competence framework.
Enjoy being part of working with engaged leadership at all levels, and be assured we are committed to promoting equality and diversity, and are proud to welcome applicants under the Disability Confident Employer scheme.
Please check your email account regularly. Successful applicants will receive all recruitment related correspondence via the email account registered on the application form.
Applications may be submitted in Welsh. Applications submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application submitted in English.
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification attached for full overview of Job Description and Main Responsibilities.
- Full GMC registration
- MRCP or equivalent
- Fully registered with the GMC and on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of attaining your CCST or equivalent at the interview stage
- Further higher degree
- Relevant and recent experience at senior trainee level within Gastroenterology
- Satisfactory completion of a recognised training program at SpR or equivalent level
Education and Training
- CPD up to date
- Evidence of training of others as part of self-development
- Experience in supervising junior medical staff
BMJ Ref: BMJ-101518/050-GASTRO-E-09-22-C