This vacancy includes an attractive 5000* welcome bonus - a Rewarding Welcome for a Rewarding Career.
An opportunity has arisen to join an established enthusiastic and cohesive team in providing extended clinical cover to the Emergency Department at the University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust.
The Emergency Department opened in 2006 as part of a new 500 million PFI hospital build and currently sees in excess of 160,000 patients per year, with a full case mix. The Executive Team have committed to significantly expanding our medical and nursing workforce to meet rising demands on our service: we have fully recruited to all medical posts and are not dependent on locum doctors. In addition, we are in the process of expanding our ED footprint, increasing our resus capabilities to augment our recently opened 6-bedded RAT area.
In 2017, we were awarded RCEM Training Department of the year. We are committed to delivering innovative, nationally renowned, educational experiences to our multi-disciplinary team and host regular courses and conferences in ultrasound, emergency surgical skills, critical appraisal, trauma team leadership, and pre-hospital emergency medicine.
* Terms and conditions: Specifics to be discussed at interviewMain duties of the job
The post-holders will work with other members of the Emergency Team to provide a world class clinical service across adult, children and minor injury departments. The department supports annualised rostering and joint roles with Intensive Care Medicine, Pre-hospital Emergency Medicine, Paediatric Emergency Medicine, and Sports and Exercise Medicine, with several of the current consultants working in these areas as part of their job plan.
Medical emergencies still form the majority of Majors and Resus attendances. The ED team manage all medical alerts and cardiac arrests in-house, and work closely with Acute Medicine to provide high quality care for medical presentations.
Clinical excellence is achieved by clinical shop floor work and supervision of junior medical staff. An attending model ensures the service is consultant-led and maintains high quality care with appropriate conversion rates.
ED consultants provide on-site cover 24 hours per day; with a minimum of 17 hours of shop-floor direct supervision, and overnight resident on-call for trauma team leadership.
All Consultants are involved in planning and developing the service. The post-holder will be expected to take an appropriate share in the management and administrative workload of the Department, particularly pertaining to their area of special interests. Non-clinical roles are allocated in line with areas of special interest and the strategic needs of the department following agreement with the Clinical Lead.About us
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire (UHCW) NHS Trust, rated as good by the Care Quality Commission, is one of the largest teaching Trusts in the UK.
We are extremely proud of our skilled employees across our hospital sites in Coventry and Rugby, with high quality patient care positioned at the heart of everything we do.
Boasting some of the most modern facilities in Western Europe, the Trust is renowned for being at the forefront of research and innovation as part of its blossoming reputation as a national and international leader in healthcare.
By joining our exciting journey, you will form part of a passionate, talented team and will be able to access a wide range of learning and development opportunities.
There has never been a better time to join our team.Job description Job responsibilitiesDuties of the Post
Main Aims and Objectives of the Post
- Take ongoing responsibility for patients under his/her care.
- Participate in the development of the emergency medicine service treatment protocols and guidelines and the greater knowledge in the management of emergency medical conditions.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with medical colleagues in other specialities and participate in regular clinical meetings and other postgraduate activities.
- Participate in the on-call rota on an equal basis with Consultant colleagues and provide regular shop floor cover to ensure that appropriate emergency services are provided out of normal working hours.
- Act in the capacity of trauma team leader for all trauma calls as part of Major Trauma Centre (MTC) provision arrangements.
- Take responsibility for the professional supervision and development of trainee doctors within the speciality, to include appraisal.
- Develop and maintain good communications with General Practitioners and appropriate external agencies.
- Demonstrate a firm involvement in Clinical Governance, Risk Management and Clinical Audit. This will include the development and maintenance of appropriate systems and practices to ensure continued safe clinical practice.
- Ensure own practice is up-to-date. This will involve taking responsibility for own Clinical Professional Development and participating in the Trusts Performance and Annual Review system.
- Share responsibility for data protection arising out of the use of computers.
- Comply with all relevant Trust Policies and Procedures.
- Take responsibility for improving and complying with infection control practices
- Ensure that all Trust-wide standards are maintained to improve the quality of total care to all who come into contact with services provided by University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust
- The post holder is required to act in accordance with local policies agreed by the Trust and the Medical Negotiating Committee
- Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults is your responsibility. Familiarisation with and adherence to UHCW Safeguarding policies and Coventry and Warwickshire Safeguarding Board procedures is an essential
- Requirement of all employees, as is the participation in related mandatory training
The main aim of this post is to work with other senior medical and nursing staff to display the core trust values and deliver safe, high quality clinical care. Our vision is to be a national and international leader in healthcare, and delivering a first class emergency medicine service for Coventry and Rugby area is fundamental to this.
This post will involve supervision and support of juniors so that services are provided in an effective and efficient manner, principles of risk management and clinical governance are adhered to and relevant targets are exceeded.Teaching
The post-holder will be required to participate fully in the education and training of medical students, trainee doctors, ACPs, nurses and AHPs. Through collaborative working with Warwick Medical School, excellent opportunities exist for greater involvement in teaching in many different areas of the undergraduate curriculum.
All Consultants are expected to be Educational Supervisors for the junior medical staff and ACP staff within the department. If additional training is required this will be fully supported by the department.
The department is involved in the organisation of the regional CPD for staff grade doctors and participates in the provision of regional teaching for the Higher Specialist Trainees and ACCS trainees in Emergency Medicine.
The Trust runs provider courses for the various life support courses and the post-holder would be encouraged to become involved with these. The department runs numerous other courses, including ultrasound, trauma team leadership, cadaveric surgical skills courses, pre-hospital training events, and critical appraisal courses.Research
The ED team have broad research interests, are actively involved in several quantitative and qualitative research projects. We are a recruiting centre for REBOA, RePhill, Cryostat and other multicentre international trials. We employ research nurses to assist the clinicians and have a growing reputation as a centre of emergency research. All ED Consultants are expected to participate in recruitment to active clinical trials within the Emergency Department. Opportunities to become Principal Investigator for forthcoming studies are available.
An active research plan and an innovative education programme are essential to the development of world leading excellence in clinical care. They enable the Trust to develop a better informed service and attract highly skilled and motivated staff. Research and Development and supporting the education programme are integral parts of Trust core business and all staff are encouraged to get involved. The Trusts educational programme provides part of the essential platform to achieving our goal of becoming an internationally recognised centre of excellence and all Consultants are expected to contribute.
The University of Warwick has a distinctive track record for pioneering and fostering interdisciplinary research. Established links with other University departments such as mathematics, health and social sciences, with Warwick Manufacturing Group and Warwick Business School and the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, offer excellent opportunities for research.
The Trust offers state of the art facilities. It houses the Warwick Medical Schools Clinical Sciences Research Institute (CSRI), bringing together scientists, clinicians and epidemiologists. UHCW also has six well-equipped Patient Research Interface (PRI) suites for patient-based research. Containing clinical examination rooms, offices and support facilities, each PRI suite enables patient and volunteer studies to be undertaken in a clinical setting independent from, but in close proximity to, the ward environment.
The Trust houses the latest clinical imaging equipment and is one of the first completely digital hospitals in the UK. It has recently installed a PET-CT and three MRI scanners, which are also available for clinical research.
The Trust hosts West Midlands (South) Comprehensive Local Research Network and collaborates with several national clinical research networks. These are: the Arden Cancer Network; West Midlands Medicines for Children Research Network; the Stroke Research Network and the Thames Valley Diabetes Research Network (with Oxford).For further details about the post, please see the detailed Job Description and Person Specification.Person Specification Education & Qualifications Essential Desirable Experience / Knowledge Essential Desirable Management & Administrative Essential Desirable Teaching & Training Essential Desirable Research, Audit & Clinical Governance Essential Desirable Communication skills & abilities Essential Continued professional / personal development Essential Commitment to Trust Values and Behaviours Essential