Consultant Ophthalmologist - Glaucoma / General Ophthalmology ROYAL COLLEGE APPROVED Application for this substantive post will only be accepted if you are in the process of obtaining your CCT/CSER within six months of interview.
This is an exciting opportunity to be working as part of a dedicated team at Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust delivering high quality ophthalmic care to the population of the Morecambe Bay Area.Main duties of the job
The Ophthalmology department provides the following services:
General Ophthalmology (including cataract) clinics on all 3 sitesAMD and Medical retina clinics based at WGH including diabetic retinopathy clinics supported by non-medical HCP intravitreal injection clinics)Corneal service supported by two consultantsGlaucoma service (with AHP and ANP support, recently established virtual glaucoma clinics running successfully)Oculoplastic service (including Botox and minor-ops clinics)Paediatric service (with Optometric support across 3 sites)
- The Job Plan has recently received approval from The Royal College of Ophthalmologists (June 2022).
Full details of main responsibilities can be found in the attached job description and person specification for this role.About us
The University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust (UHMBT) consists of three main hospital sites, Westmorland General in Kendal, Furness General in Barrow-in-Furness and the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.
You will be based at Royal Lancaster Infirmary with the scope to work cross bay occasionally to meet the needs of the service. But routine work will be mostly based at RLI with Theatre being based in Westmorland General Hospital Kendal .The Lake District is quite probably the most beautiful region in England and not surprisingly the National Park is the most visited in the country.
You will be contracted for 10 programmed activities per week. There is an on call element to the role. Interview date: TBCJob description Job responsibilities
You will work as part of the Ophthalmology Department and are expected to provide a high quality service and ensure excellent patient care.
The proposed job plan will consist of 10 PAs, including 1-2 theatres, 4 outpatient clinics, SPA and admin sessions. In addition, there is a requirement to contribute to the on call ophthalmicservice on a currently 1:9 rota, as part of the consultant team in the department. Full details of main responsibilities can be found in the attached job description and person specification for this role.Person Specification Education and Qualification Essential
Experience Clinical - general Essential
- Full registration with the General Medical Council (with license to practice)
- Certificate of completion in specialist training (CCT) or within 6 months of completion of training at the time of interview.
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (or equivalent)
Skills, ability and knowledge Essential
- Practical experience in a wide range of ophthalmic conditions
- Able to provide emergency cover to ophthalmic patients
- Experience of clinical supervision of juniors and relevant staff in other disciplines
- Knowledge of up to date ophthalmic clinical practice
- Recent active involvement in delivery of Medical Education and multi professional training