Applications are invited for the post of Consultant Cardiologist specialising in echocardiography. This is a 10 PA post that will be based at the Royal London Hospital (RLH) with specialised echo sessions at Barts Heart Centre (BHC) at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, which provides cardiovascular care to a population of six million.
Main duties of the job
The RLH site is served by a cardiology ward and non-invasive cardiac investigations unit with established transoesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography, ambulatory ECG and blood pressure monitoring. BHC is served by ten cardiac catheterisation suites and well established transthoracic, transoesophageal and stress echocardiography, cardiac CT and MRI.
In addition to providing echo services at RLH and BHC, the post involves general cardiology ward cover with no commitment to general medical take.
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which ourWeCarevalues and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together.
The aim of this post is to develop echocardiography at RLH within the framework of Barts Health and the new Cardiac Centre. Furthermore, providing specialised echo (transoesophageal and stress echocardiography) sessions at BHC.
- MBBS, or equivalent
- MRCP or equivalent
- CCT (or within 6 months of date of interview) or equivalent.
- Higher degree, e.g. MD/PhD
- Widespread broad-based knowledge of general cardiology and advanced echocardiography.
- Experience in managing a clinic of high risk CVD and specialist lipids
- Competent and trained In general cardiology, advanced Echocardiography (transthoracic, transoesphageal & stress echocardiography including contrast, strain and 3D)
- Accreditation in transthoracic echocardiography
- Accreditation in TOE +/- stress
- Able to provide evidence of clinical audit and demonstrate understanding of impact and challenges this brings.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and awareness of current and future NHS challenges and strategy
- Ability to support team members in business planning via collaboration and discussion.
- Evidence of innovative approaches to healthcare
- Experience of audit management
- Experience of quality assurance in cardiovascular imaging
- Ability to demonstrate personal experience of clinical research and describe and discuss findings and impact
- Experience of research, presentations to learned societies on topics related to cardiology
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical/surgical problems
- Demonstrate number of first name publications in indexed journals, over a variety of subjects relevant to this post.