Consultant in Obstetric & Gynaecology with a Special Interest in High Risk Obstetrics and Maternal Medicine
Based at Royal Gwent Hospital and delivering care at other Health Board sites at the Grange University Hospital Cwmbran, Nevill Hall Hospital Abergavenny and Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr Ystrad Mynach, South East Wales
We have an opportunity for a Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist to join our existing team of twenty one full-time and two part-time consultants within the service.
The appointed Consultant will help to cover sixty hours of labour ward and also enable us to provide eight elective Caesarean section lists per week. They will also help to deliver our emergency gynaecological commitments and CEPOD theatre requirements as well as supporting existing Obstetric & Gynaecological services. The on-call commitment is 1:20.
Main duties of the job
- In ABUHB, maternity services are provided in five community boroughs and one obstetric units at the Grange University Hospital at Llanfrechfa, Cwmbran with midwifery-led stand-alone Birth Centres in Ystrad Mynach (YYF), Royal Gwent Hospital (RGH) and Nevill Hall Hospital (NHH) to a total of around 6200 births per year.
- Obstetric Antenatal Clinics are held at the enhanced local general hospital at Royal Gwent and Nevill Hall hospital sites and four out-reach clinic in the community.
- A feto-maternal service is located at both RGH and NHH with links to Cardiff and Bristol for tertiary services.
- Gynaecology out-patient and in-patient services are provided at four hospitals with outreach clinics at other sites
- Maternity and gynaecology services are progressive and actively participating in modernising agenda and mapping against expected standards.
- The number of sessions may vary with the agreement of the post-holder and the Health Board in advance or after commencement.
This is a 10 session job plan with a commitment to evening and weekend on call (rota 1:20 with prospective cover). This will include day time resident on call cover at weekends. The number of SPA's may vary with the agreement of the post holder and the Health Board in advance or after commencement and an increase in SPA's would accompany an agreement to take on additional duties. Over time it is expected all consultant to be on 3 SPA's.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board is a multi-award winning NHS organisation with a passion for caring. The Health Board provides an exceptional workplace where you can feel trusted and valued. Whatever your specialty or stage in your career, we have opportunities for everyone to start, grow and build your career. The health board provides integrated acute, primary and community care serving a population of 650,000 and employing over 16,000 staff.
We offer a fantastic benefits package and extensive training and development opportunities with paid mandatory training, excellent in-house programmes, opportunities to complete recognised qualifications and professional career pathways including a range of management development programmes. We offer flexible working and promote a healthy work life balance, provide occupational health support and an ambitious plan for a Wellbeing Centre of Excellence to support you at work.
Our Clinical Futures strategy continues to enhance and promote care closer to home as well as high quality hospital care when needed. This includes the Grange University Hospital which provides specialist and critical care and is the newest addition to the clinical futures strategy opening in November 2020. Join us on our journey to pioneer new ways of working and deliver a world-class healthcare service fit for the future.
Please see attached job description
Job description waiting for Royal College approval
This position involves Regulated Activity with children and adults as defined by the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act (amended by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012) and the following checks will be undertaken following any conditional offer: an adults and childrens barred list check
Applicants must hold full registration and a licence to practice with the GMC
Candidates for Consultantposts must also be on the GMC Specialist Register (including via CESR/European Community Rights) or will have a CCT/CESR(CP)date within 6 months of interview.
- Qualification as per spec