Applications are invited to apply for the post of Consultant in Ophthalmology - Glaucoma at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall. This is a replacement post due to retirement.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an established glaucoma team which consists of 3 Consultants, 3 Associate Specialists, 2 specialty doctors and a team of nursing and allied health professionals. We hold monitoring clinics for low and middle risk glaucoma patients run by allied health professionals and reviewed virtually by clinicians with consultant supervision. Higher risk and surgical glaucoma patients are seen face to face. Laser treatment options include YAG (including SLT) as well as Cyclodiode (Sub-threshold and thermal). A new glaucoma pathway involving all low risk glaucoma patients being seen by community optometrists is currently being developed.Main duties of the job
- The department is well equipped with four OCT scanners, sCLO camera with spectral domain OCT, OPTOS (second OPTOS on order), fluorescein and ICG angiography, Argon Pascal and YAG lasers, HRT and modern ultrasound. Medisoft electronic patient record system is operational in all sub-specialties. Integrated digital imaging software OphthalSuite provides access to all ophthalmology images throughout the county. The department has two operating theatres. One with a modern ceiling mounted microscope, Constellation and Infinity for anterior and posterior segment surgery in Truro. The other with floor mounted microscope and Infinity Phaco machine for day case surgery in Penzance, West Cornwall
There is an excellent Clinical Imaging Department on site with CT and MRI facilities. Electro-diagnostic services are available at Plymouth and VEP assessments are available at the Royal Cornwall Hospital.
The appointee will join an active and enthusiastic ophthalmic team providing ophthalmic services including:-
Vitreoretinal surgery, Neuro and Paediatric Ophthalmology, medical retina, Uveitis, Oculplastics and Corneal.
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust is the biggest provider of healthcare services in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Our three main sites are Royal Cornwall Hospital Truro, St Michael's Hospital Hayle and West Cornwall Hospital Penzance, our staff and services are available across the region.
The Trust employs 5,000+ staff, has a budget of ï¿½380 million and 750 beds
We work with health and social care organisations including NHS Kernow and NHS England to ensure local healthcare needs are met. We provide acute medical, surgical and specialist services to around 500,000 which can increase significantly during busy holiday periods.
The Trust has teaching hospitals status as part of the University of Exeter Medical School. Keeping at the forefront of medical advances, we continually developing clinical services and are committed to maximising the range of specialist care offered locally.
We can offer you a rewarding career in a supportive working environment. We have extensive educational links to help you realise your full potential and develop skills to provide outstanding healthcare to the local community.
Enjoy an outstanding quality of life in a place that offers surfing beaches and fishing harbours to beautiful countryside and historic towns. With clean air, plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities and excellent schools, colleges and universities (including adult education) it is the ideal place for families and for you to develop your own career.Job description Job responsibilitiesPLEASE NOTE: To view the full Job Description and Person Specification, please click the supporting document on the right hand side To be an employee of the NHS you need to successfully complete the following:
- Identity Checks
- Professional registration and qualification checks
- Employment history and reference checks
- Work health assessments
- Criminal record check standards
- Right to work checks
For further information please visit:
https://www.nhsemployers.org/topics-networks/employment-standards-and-regulation Agency interest will not be considered until this advert has closedPerson Specification Qualifications Essential
- GMC registration at time of appointment and hold a current licence to practice
- GMC Specialist Register or within six months of obtaining CCT (or equivalent)
- MBChB or equivalent
- FRCOphth or equivalent
- Completion of training or fellowship in Glaucoma
- Teaching (Medical students/peers/MDT)
- Experienced in Clinical Audit and Clinical Governance
Certificate of Sponsorship
- Medical retina completeion of management skills
- Completion of train the trainers course
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab). UK Registration
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).Employer details Employer name
Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust Address
Royal Cornwall Hospital
TR1 3LJ Employer's website
https://www.royalcornwall.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)