The Paediatric Department within the Women and Children Care Group is seeking to recruit a Consultant Paediatrician based at Furness General Hospital. The ideal applicant will have a special area of interest to complement those already in the Department.
The University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust has a keen interest and extensive involvement in Medical and Dental Education at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. We work in partnership with Lancaster Medical School, North Western Deanery and Health Education North West to provide quality education and training which meets the requirements of these regulatory bodies as well as the Trust's high standards of patient care. UHMBFT provides one of the main NHS settings for students from Lancaster Medical School as we co-ordinate, deliver and quality assure the clinical component of Lancaster Medical SchoolsMBChBdegree programme.
Please be advised that this job has been reviewed and approved by The Royal College. Interviews for this vacancy will take place on Wednesday 22nd March 2023.Main duties of the job
We are seeking a friendly and enthusiastic colleague who is able to provide excellence of care in a modern Children and Young People's Service.
The CYP team provides hospital-based acute Paediatric care, neonatal services, scheduled day case and outpatient care, and safeguarding / Child-Protection expertise.
The successful candidate will support our consultant delivered acute Paediatric service. The rota comprises a 1 in 6 acute 'hot week' (including provision of support to the Level 1 Special Care Baby Unit), resident evening and clinic weeks.
In addition, the consultant will participate in the 1 in 6 on call Rota (non-resident nights and non-resident weekend, supporting the resident Middle Grade Tier Paediatrician).About us
We operate from three main hospitals - Furness General Hospital (FGH) in Barrow, the Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI), and Westmorland General Hospital (WGH) in Kendal, as well as a number of community health care premises including Millom Hospital and GP Practice, Queen Victoria Hospital in Morecambe, and Ulverston Community Health Centre.
FGH and the RLI have a range of General Hospital services, with full Emergency Departments, Critical/Coronary Care units and various Consultant-led services.
WGH provides a range of General Hospital services, together with an Urgent Treatment Centre, that can help with a range of non-life threatening conditions such as broken bones and minor illnesses.
All three main hospitals provide a range of planned care including outpatients, diagnostics, therapies, day case and inpatient surgery. In addition, a range of local outreach services and diagnostics are provided from community facilities across Morecambe Bay.Job description Job responsibilities
To read more information about the advertised role, and the main job duties/responsibilities please open the Job Description and Person Specification located under the supporting documents heading. You can also read more information about University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay visiting our website https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/Person Specification Education and qualifications Essential
- Valid Registration with the General Medical Council
- Completed Specialist Training (or equivalent) in Paediatrics
- Membership of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (or equivalent)
- Completed, and up to date with: APLS (or equivalent) NLS (or equivalent) Level 3 Child Protection Training (or equivalent)
- On the Specialist Register for the above, or be within six months of being admitted to the Register
- Substantive NHS experience
- Practical experience in Acute and non-acute paediatric problems
- Proven experience in clinical audit
- Understanding of NHS leadership and management responsibilities of Consultants.
Skills, ability and knowledge Essential
- Practical experience in Child development and disability assessment.
- Evidence of completion of full audit cycle and implementation of knowledge learned
- Evidence of fulfilling the personal CPD requirements of RCPCH
- Recent active involvement in delivery of Medical Education and multi professional training
- IT and computing skills.
- Evidence of recent and current research, with relevant publications
- Completion of Educational Supervision training
- Experience of supervision of postgraduate trainees
Personal Qualities Essential
- Experience of teaching basic clinical skills to undergraduates
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively in all disciplines
- Experience of clinical supervision of juniors and relevant staff in other disciplines.
- Ability to lead the development of services and promote the best practice amongst colleagues.
Certificate of Sponsorship
- Evidence of the development of leadership skills within the work environment.
- NHS Management training
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab). UK Registration
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).Employer details Employer name
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust Address
Furness General Hospital
LA14 4LF Employer's website
https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk (Opens in a new tab)