The Diabetes and Endocrinology Department at the Princess Royal University Hospital, a division of King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, are looking for an enthusiastic and committed Consultant to join the team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a new team, the service has already successfully recruited to 4 consultant posts.
This is a new permanent post and there is an opportunity to develop an interest in other areas of diabetes and endocrinology depending on interest and experience. We are flexible so please contact us to discuss any details prior to interview
The PRUH and Orpington Hospital are based in Locksbottom and Orpington. These are highly sought-after locations due to its close proximity to its good primary and secondary schools. Bromley also has nationally recognised grammar schools.The thriving town centre of Bromley with retail, entertainment, gyms, restaurants, cafes and bars means that many staff live in the local area, enhancing the community spirit within the hospitals.
From Bromley or Orpington, trains will take into the centre of London in 20 minutes. We are equally well located for escaping into the countryside of Kent.
We welcome and encourage potential candidates to come for an informal visit.Main duties of the job
The purpose of this role is to support and further develop the Diabetes & Endocrine department at the PRUH and to provide senior decision making to ensure optimal and early review of patients. The appointee will work in collaboration with the other Diabetes & Endocrine consultant, junior doctors and Diabetes Specialist Nurses, Dietitians, Podiatrists and Pharmacist in the department and Trust.
Delivering outpatient and inpatient Diabetes & Endocrine services to the local population of Bromley and surrounding areas.
Specific duties will include rotational cover for 20 bed General Medicine ward, Endocrine outpatient clinics, Diabetic Foot inpatients and outpatients, pregnancy and transition clinics and Inpatient and outpatient diabetes.About us
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK's largest and busiest teaching Trusts with a turnover of c1 billion, 1.5 million patient contacts a year and more than 15,000 staff based across South East London. The Trust provides a full range of local and specialist services across its five sites. The trust-wide strategy of Strong Roots, Global Reach is our Vision to be BOLD, Brilliant people, Outstanding care, Leaders in Research, Innovation and Education, Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at the heart of everything we do.
King's is committed to delivering Sustainable Healthcare for All via our Green Plan. In line with national Greener NHS ambitions, we have set net zero carbon targets of 2040 for our NHS Carbon Footprint and 2045 for our NHS Carbon Footprint Plus. Everyone's contribution is required in order to meet the goals set out in our Green Plan and we encourage all staff to work responsibly, minimising their contributions to the Trust's carbon emissions, waste and pollution wherever possible. Mandatory vaccination
from 1stApril 2022, there is a legal requirement for staff who have contact with patients and other service users in England to be fully vaccinated (received both doses of an MHRA approved vaccine) against COVID-19. If your role is covered by the regulations, you will be required to provide proof ofyour full vaccinationstatus as part of your pre-employment checks prior to your start date.Job description Job responsibilities
The Trust is recognised internationally for its work in liver disease and transplantation, neurosciences, cardiac, haemato-oncology, fetal medicine, stroke, major trauma, and Emergency Department.
Kings is a key partner in one of London's foremost Academic Health Science Centres, King's Health Partners (KHP). KHP is one of only six Department of Health-designated AHSCs in England. It brings together a world-leading research-led university Kings College London and three successful NHS Foundation Trusts: Kings College Hospital, Guys and St Thomas, and South London and Maudsley.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of our dedicated workforce and join one of the largest and most successful Foundation Trusts in the UK with an international reputation for innovation and the desire to make a difference.
You must be fully registered with the GMC and hold a Licence to Practice and be on the Specialist Register, or within six months of attaining your CCT or equivalent to be eligible for interview.
The postholder will have regular contact with vulnerable adults and/or children (0-18 years), therefore this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975, and as such, it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
The appointed Consultant will join Kings College Hospital, PRUH and South Sites at an exciting phase within our Diabetes and Endocrine Service. As well as providing inpatient support and outpatient clinics there is opportunity for service developments within the each of the sub specialties within the service. The role will also support general inpatient medicine at the PRUH.
The job plan in the job description is an indicative example of a job plan. A formal job plan will be agreed between the post holder soon after the commencement date. The Job Plan, a prospective agreement that sets out a consultants duties, responsibilities and objectives, will be reviewed periodically. Annual consultant appraisals will be carried out as part of the National Revalidation process.Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registerable medical qualification
- MRCP or equivalent
- Within six months of the expected date of CCT (or equivalent) on the day of interview
- Other higher degree or diploma (e.g., MD)
Training and experience Essential
- Full registration with GMC and name on Specialist Register in respect of Diabetes & Endocrinology andf General Internal Medicine on date of taking up appointment
- Wide experience in all aspects of General Internal Medicine , culminating in award of CCT or equivalent qualification entitling to specialist registration in General Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Specialist training in Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Advanced experience in insulin pump management Advanced experience in subsspecailty areas of diabetes or endocrinology
- Advanced experience in subsspecailty areas of diabetes or endocrinology
- Accreditation as DAFNE doctor or evidence of equivalentg experience of structured patient education
- Experience in day to day organisation of general internal medicine and endocrine and diabetes services in a busy hospital
Management and Leadership Essential
- Familiar with current structure of Health Service and conversant with recent initiatives and changes
- Able to demonstrate leadership capability within multi-disciplinary teams
Audit and Quality Improvement Essential
- Management course and/or qualification
Desirable Research Essential
- Thorough understanding of principles of medical audit and quality improvement
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to lead change
- Experience of conducting or supporting clinical research
- Relevant research experience in one or more aspects of GIM diabetes or Endocrinology
- Publication of relevant review articles or case reports
- Experience of undergraduate and post-graduate teaching and exam preparation
Personal Skills and Attributes Essential
- Teaching skills course/qualification
- Effective communicator, able to work in a close-knit team and co-operate with all medical and paramedical staff
- Flexible and resilient
- Professional attitude towards work, reliability, good record of attendance and tidy personal appearance
Kings Values Essential
- Familiarity with information technology and general computer skills
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of Kings Values
- Commitment to uphold Kings Values